Arizona Chickens

Hey everyone! Checking in. The work on the bar is taking up most of my time. I came home early today because my wife said there was an issue with one of the girls. 

Wyandotte hen, appx -6-7 month old, laying regularly, eating and drinking and otherwise acting normal, except...
She's walking with her toes curled under on one foot. Both foot pads look good and healthy. She shows no signs of pain. I wrapped it to give some support in case she hurt it, but she's still walking with her toes under. This just started so I'm leaning toward an injury. 
Thoughts? 

Try giving her fresh spinach or kale. Sounds like a B vitamin deficiency.

That is a sumac type tree. It changes leaves as it gets older and resembles a willow. My tree guys don't like to deal with it because it has a caustic sap. Pull it now while you can still do it.

The seed is spread by birds. Leave it planted where you don't want people to be. Be aware, it makes a mess.

Good luck,

Rufus

That is a sumac type tree. It changes leaves as it gets older and resembles a willow. My tree guys don't like to deal with it because it has a caustic sap. Pull it now while you can still do it.

The seed is spread by birds. Leave it planted where you don't want people to be. Be aware, it makes a mess.

Good luck,

Rufus

I have a 30yr old sumac in my yard. It does make a mess and it really wants to be a bush, but it provides pretty good shade coverage.

Got some black and blue Ameraucana chicks from @desertmarcy last weekend, moved them out today to a grow out pen in the Chicken Palace. Pretty comical to watch them run and fly and chase each other, and otherwise just enjoy their new space!

And, there was a whole gallery of interested bystanders!

Last edited:
Got some black and blue Ameraucana chicks from @desertmarcy last weekend, moved them out today to a grow out pen in the Chicken Palace. Pretty comical to watch them run and fly and chase each other, and otherwise just enjoy their new space!

And, there was a whole gallery of interested bystanders!

To cute to be sure

And here is Bigfoot and the ladies checking out some new nesting boxes.

...I like those, what a cute idea for nesting box, lol. You'll have to tell me what store to find them it should I need more. with 3 hens going Broody! !... I just might need to get some more lol! ;)

I'd like to see a picture of your jersey giant named Bigfoot next to a Black Copper Maran Roo just to see size difference please if you get a chance! ;)

Continuing saga - three chicks this AM - and this PM when went out all the rest of the eggs were buried - I'm guessing she's done! Cute little yellow fluffy but chicks - now eating and drinking since momma was done doing the hatching.
So - here's a question. I have the other broody who is trying to hatch golf balls. I have an open cage that I could put her in in the broody pen with the new momma and chicks and give her a couple chicks - an overnight adventure. Think that will work - will the mommas get along do you think? I keep throwing her out of the nest but she keeps sitting back in....jeez I really don't need more chicks! Thoughts from you who have this kind of experience??

I've never tried dual mommas but my sister did. The first hen stole a couple of chicks from the other one and then kept pecking on the other hen's remaining chick. I've read of it working before, but I wouldn't count on it. My sister had to separate hers.

Back
Top Bottom