Arizona Chickens

The Horned Toad (aka Horny Toad Lizard) is the only one I know of that squirts blood from its eyes, though it's rare for it to do so. We've handled many of them from baby to full-grown elder and have yet to be squirted. 

http://www.asknature.org/strategy/32df43605fa6de230f3c3b4fd2b49f80 This article has a good description of this defensive mechanism used by horned lizards. It seems they use this as a last defense and handling them gently probably does not inspire in them a need to do this. I've also handled them and never seen one do this.

Yeah, I've had one or two squirt, but they have to be pretty alarmed to do it. I leave them alone, as they eat more ants than any other critter I've seen. I used to watch one out in my driveway, it would sit about a foot away from an anthill, and for hours on end, it would patiently gobble every ant that came out to play.

Last edited:
I discovered that when I went looking to what in heck Larry was! First time I'd seen one. I think he got mad about the chickens & having the prickly pear removed so he moved. :lau

They are one of the few creatures that are able to handle tge formic acid that ants produce. That pic is of 2 of the 3 that were together that particular morning, mating season.
Generally I will see them alone and sitting on the entrance of a harvester ant colony, lapping up ants.

They are one of the few creatures that are able to handle tge formic acid that ants produce. That pic is of 2 of the 3 that were together that particular morning, mating season.
Generally I will see them alone and sitting on the entrance of a harvester ant colony, lapping up ants.

I introduced a few to my garden area. They've been a huge help in controlling the Fire Ants that set up their home there, and they seem to understand that I bear them no ill will. When I go out to work in the garden they actually come out of hiding and sit just inches away from me, watching in their quiet, stealthy way and occasionally eating a stray ant that gets too close to them. I LOVE Horned Toads!

So I went down to my aquaponics room this afternoon to find a 4+ foot long Red Racer snake stretched across one of the beds, drinking water as it fell from one bed to the next. Upon seeing me it climbed down into one of the cement blocks...completely unreachable. I told my husband...he totally freaked out and wants it gone. (He really doesn't like snakes.) Me? I'm thinking we now have an efficient solution to our growing mouse problem. And maybe this is also why we haven't been seeing many toads around here this year.
hmm.png
I'd take it in a heartbeat! They are great for rodent control. They aren't call racers for nothing, they are fast!

Oh, I forgot to share...about a week ago, I was sitting on my sofa looking at my neglected back yard, and a mama quail and her two babies strolled up to the sliding glass doors and hung out for about 15 minutes. They left for awhile and came back later with Daddy watching over them. It was the cutest thing, and no telling what else may be living out there, but hope to have those issues resolved in the coming days.

It's pathetic that I neglected the backyard so long, but it was nice to know that Mama chose to raise her babies back there. They were smaller than newborn chicks, but they got around pretty good. I hope they're fully fledged and have moved on when I finally get out there. --BB
Maybe they were checking out their own reflections? Quail chicks can fly at one week old, they have to or they get eaten. Amazing little birds.

I introduced a few to my garden area. They've been a huge help in controlling the Fire Ants that set up their home there, and they seem to understand that I bear them no ill will. When I go out to work in the garden they actually come out of hiding and sit just inches away from me, watching in their quiet, stealthy way and occasionally eating a stray ant that gets too close to them. I LOVE Horned Toads!
I wish I could have some in my yard but I'm sure my dogs would kill them. They are just too laid back unlike the common lizards here that are fast at avoiding the terriers.

I'd like to have Larry back...have a couple different kinds of ants between the front & back yards. Finally resorted to ant killer since the chickens weren't getting them. I'm careful in the back...I use a dog crate or xpens to block off the area for a few days to keep everyone out of it.

I'd like to have Larry back...have a couple different kinds of ants between the front & back yards. Finally resorted to ant killer since the chickens weren't getting them. I'm careful in the back...I use a dog crate or xpens to block off the area for a few days to keep everyone out of it.

I was just given something "new" to try for controlling the fire ants...grits. No kidding...grits. Apparently when the ants take the grits into their nest it spoils the nest and they move on. I thought it was a crock when I was told about it, but I had a particularly large and aggressive nest of fire ants, sprinkled grits all around the opening to their nest and after less than a week they're gone. Today I sprinkled grits in several places in my yard, hoping to cut down the overall population. The chickens eat some of the grits too, but it doesn't hurt them...no nasty poisons to hurt any pets either. GRITS! Who knew?

Somebody submitted pics of a PCV pipe feeder a long time ago, and I thought it was rather interesting. These may have come from another forum, but I saved them. One can never have too many ideas. --BB

I would probably have them turned outward instead of a straight line mounted against a wall, maybe banding them around a 4x4 pole secured top and bottom to keep them from shifting. Just an idea. --BB

Somebody submitted pics of a PCV pipe feeder a long time ago, and I thought it was rather interesting. These may have come from another forum, but I saved them. One can never have too many ideas. --BB

I would probably have them turned outward instead of a straight line mounted against a wall, maybe banding them around a 4x4 pole secured top and bottom to keep them from shifting. Just an idea. --BB
We loved this idea BUT the wild birds can still get in them and eat away!! I tried the pail with the elbows and have found the birds have not yet found the way in to eat the food!! I have saved so dang much on feed since I put them in! You say but they are in the coop - doesn't matter the wild birds will find it. We got it from Backyard Chickens - just search for bucket feeder.

I was just given something "new" to try for controlling the fire ants...grits. No kidding...grits. Apparently when the ants take the grits into their nest it spoils the nest and they move on. I thought it was a crock when I was told about it, but I had a particularly large and aggressive nest of fire ants, sprinkled grits all around the opening to their nest and after less than a week they're gone. Today I sprinkled grits in several places in my yard, hoping to cut down the overall population. The chickens eat some of the grits too, but it doesn't hurt them...no nasty poisons to hurt any pets either. GRITS! Who knew?
Seriously???? I'll have to go buy some. I've instant polenta, but I think it's a bit different than grits from what I remember. Will have to try that. I've done some different things before hitting the ant bait stuff...hate using it. I hate using any chemicals I don't have to. I'm working my way out of non-natural cleaning products, etc. & trying to just use natural stuff that either I make or buy cause I can't make it. Much prefer environmentally friendly options, but there are some that I still have to careful with the critters. Right now I'm searching for a remedy for thrips...seems my birds aren't quite doing their job where those little buggers are concerned. I've read about neem oil having some effect for keeping them off, but that spinosad is much better. I haven't read about any plants that would help to repel for companion planting.

For any who manage fruit trees/garden with the chicks what do you for the harmful bugs they don't eat? I'm going to try to grow a bunch of various basil varieties to help repel flies. Friend told me the don't like basil. I'm also curious if my chicks would like rosemary...if not I could have a natural barrier....I'm curious cause my dogs don't like the rosemary plants in front of my Dad's house. I think it's the ornamental & not culinary variety. Still smells. I do know about marigolds or is it mums? That's the plant basis for most bug control products. Also, do you grow anything for the birds?

Most if not all our birds like basil, especially the Thai Basil, and rosemary. They pretty much went for any/all green herbs when they were fresh. Oregano and thyme also seemed to go over well wity them.
We added a Nubian milker amd her doeling to the area in March so this year we didn't do herbs

Back
Top Bottom