Arizona Chickens

More questions for you all...I’m looking online and it says that having fertile eggs sent through the mail can be very tricky because even one degree of temperature change can cause the eggs to be infertile. I know some of you have had luck with getting a healthy hatch from eggs in the mail. I suppose it all depends on how they’re packed and shipped? I’m also nervous because since we moved, we use a different post office. We have already had SO MANY issues with this new post office...they are completely incompetent. I’m afraid they would just forget to call me when my eggs arrive. I wonder if I can get them shipped to my doorstep instead.

I had eggs shipped from in AZ and had 100% hatch rate from the ones that weren't broken during shipping. I got mine from @cactusrota There were a few loose air cells and only 1 early cull for issues.

These didn't fly of course, and only took a couple days to get here.

ETA 12/15 eggs were fine, the jerks at the post office squished the box.

Last edited:
excellent suggestion @igorsMistress. @SonoranChick - I believe there are a number of chicken owners in your area where you could drive easily. Are you close to @DesertChic in Green Valley - excellent owner - I would think great fertile eggs! AND she keeps crazy great records. Local fertile eggs are a great idea for you. I'm still hanging in there.

Nice to have you pop in here again to let us know how you are doing! We all have time's that thing's may keep us busy for a while. I'm glad that Cora love's eggs, and it will help her to grow up appreciating that those egg's come from your own chicken's. As far as adding to the flock by hatching out egg's later, keep in mind that 1/2 of the chick's that hatch out will be boy's. You might do better off in trying to find some started pullet's. You don't need rooster's that could be a potential danger to Cora.
FWIW, I have 12, 4 week old (tomorrow) pullets, blue andalusians. I'll need to sell six or so of them. But I'm quite a distance, 20 miles north of black canyon.

Another question! If a broody hen has her own hatch of chicks, will they sleep under her in their nest when they’re really young? Do I need a separate roost area for them when they are older and start to roost at night, or will they just all integrate and figure it out? And also, what do you do about chick starter feed? Seems like they must need their own separate area at first. I don’t know how I’d keep my older hens out of the chick feed if they had access to it.

Another question! If a broody hen has her own hatch of chicks, will they sleep under her in their nest when they’re really young? Do I need a separate roost area for them when they are older and start to roost at night, or will they just all integrate and figure it out? And also, what do you do about chick starter feed? Seems like they must need their own separate area at first. I don’t know how I’d keep my older hens out of the chick feed if they had access to it.

You can feed the whole flock chick starter with oyster shell on the side for layers. Babies will sleep with mom so a nest is good, one where the others won't hassle the broody while she sits and after chicks hatch for a bit is best. Mom will integrate the chicks into the flock and teach them to roost.

My broidy stayed on the coop floor with chicks but taught them to roost pretty quick.

You can feed the whole flock chick starter with oyster shell on the side for layers. Babies will sleep with mom so a nest is good, one where the others won't hassle the broody while she sits and after chicks hatch for a bit is best. Mom will integrate the chicks into the flock and teach them to roost.

My broidy stayed on the coop floor with chicks but taught them to roost pretty quick.
Okie dokie that makes things easier then. Basically the broody does it all!

hi AZ. I hope you're all doing well. Things are moving along here. We're getting 4 eggs a day from the pullets now, we have 7. I'm pretty sure I have 2 Nn pullets in the brooder plus the EE. The 2 Dorkings I haven't really decided yet, and maybe 2 Nn roosters.

The pullets outside seem to be enjoying the cooler weather, I turned on the hose and gave them a mud puddle to scratch around in.

I'll be sanitizing and whitewashing the mini coop this weekend and might get the outside painted as well. Next will be the big coop, maybe next week. Lots of chores to get done. I might get some eggs to hatch one more batch of chicks before winter and then I'll be done for a while until everyone is sorted out by next Spring.

@SonoranChick let us know if you get a broody mama! Or chicks!

@FeatherPugs :hugs:frow

Attachments

• 20190912_170458.jpg
    20190912_170458.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 2
hi AZ. I hope you're all doing well. Things are moving along here. We're getting 4 eggs a day from the pullets now, we have 7. I'm pretty sure I have 2 Nn pullets in the brooder plus the EE. The 2 Dorkings I haven't really decided yet, and maybe 2 Nn roosters.

The pullets outside seem to be enjoying the cooler weather, I turned on the hose and gave them a mud puddle to scratch around in.

I'll be sanitizing and whitewashing the mini coop this weekend and might get the outside painted as well. Next will be the big coop, maybe next week. Lots of chores to get done. I might get some eggs to hatch one more batch of chicks before winter and then I'll be done for a while until everyone is sorted out by next Spring.

@SonoranChick let us know if you get a broody mama! Or chicks!

@FeatherPugs :hugs:frow
I’ll definitely keep you all posted! I’m just waiting for Waffles to go broody and then I’m going to try and find someone local who has hatching eggs. There is a ranch across the street from us with lots of hens and roosters (not sure what breeds), horses, cows and a donkey. I need to make friends with them ;)

Back
Top Bottom