Arizona Chickens

Yuck! Glad I've never seen any of those here.

Belly, who had his legs taped, is perfect now. This is him at 4 days old. Too young to tell gender, but he seems like a cockerel to me. What is your guess?
20220413_153637.jpg

Yuck! Glad I've never seen any of those here.

Belly, who had his legs taped, is perfect now. This is him at 4 days old. Too young to tell gender, but he seems like a cockerel to me. What is your guess?View attachment 3062035
I bet it's a boy too. Remember that I have said he the whole time with that one? I'm glad that he's doing better. What about those other 2 last one's?

I bet it's a boy too. Remember that I have said he the whole time with that one? I'm glad that he's doing better. What about those other 2 last one's?
They're both still in the incubator, and still too weak to stand. I've been giving them Save-A-Chick, and have been trying to feed them chick food from my hands, but they aren't strong enough to eat it. Yesterday I decided to try something else and tried some canned dog food. One gorged herself, the other one just stuck her beak into it and left it. Maybe I should have used eggs instead, but I didn't think of that until later. Yesterday I also tried bracing their legs to see if that might help since their whole bodies just flop, but that did no good. :(

Glad you found our thread! Hoop coops are great, very flexible.
Tarps do block the sun's rays. If you find it builds up too much heat, consider replacing it with a double layer of good shade cloth, it'd probably repel rain staying bone dry inside and allow some of a breeze. I had a coop made out of the arc of a 14 ft trampoline and the 2 layers of shade cloth kept it completely dry. I was surprised, but I think it was the curve of the arc that allowed the doubled shade cloth to do this. Also, if you can have a fan, you could have a small outdoor swamp cooler instead. Even a fan probably won't be enough for Yuma, bearing in mind that even Andalusian chickens start to feel heat stress (panting, wings out) at 90 degrees. Most breeds show this same stress at 80-85, let alone 100 or 120 degrees. These coolers are about $150 probably by now. (oops, they've gone up! the one below is similar to what I had in black canyon city:)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hessair...er-for-500-sq-ft-in-Sandstone-MC18S/317051471

That way you'd worry a lot less. You can also put a small thermometer in the coop, the kind that registers its hottest and coldest reading, and you'll know if the coop gets hotter than outside or not, at any point in the day or night. Speaking of, roosttime is the heat of the day in most areas of AZ where it gets hot, so late afternoon sun will be very important.

We have triple layered our shade cloth but they were all panting so I grabbed the tarp and so far seems to be ok. In front of them is a large rv parking so the wind whips down right through the coop, which I don't know how I am going to do set up their roosting spots cause I feel like they will get blown off. Haha.

We talked about a swamp cooler and still plan on getting one. We DO have a flood sprinkler inside the coop and put a concrete cinder block around it so it fills up and slowly leaks out and gets the ground damp. They seem to like laying against it and in the wet part. Its sand so it drains and dries pretty quick. We also have 4 large rubber bowls with rocks for water and can add ice blocks too.

I keep forgetting to purchase a wireless temp gauge so I can monitor the temp inside. I also do a few bunt cake pans with fruit, veggies and mealworms (no corn) and hang it on a string for them to peck at throughout the day. These chickens haven't had one yet and are still silly about new real food but they are getting it. Our previous chickens loved it.

@azurbanclucker We are out in the foothills but our subdivision is pretty old and I haven't seen anything yet but doesn't mean there isn't anything around. The rest of the coop is cattle fencing but they didn't have any of the smaller panels in stock we could cut up. We are actually going to put some wood on the front but we did that just to get them outside. Our dog does a good job patrolling her yard keeping creatures out. Chile Pepper has really gone down hill, not sure what is going on there but its been pretty sad lately. :(

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

They're both still in the incubator, and still too weak to stand. I've been giving them Save-A-Chick, and have been trying to feed them chick food from my hands, but they aren't strong enough to eat it. Yesterday I decided to try something else and tried some canned dog food. One gorged herself, the other one just stuck her beak into it and left it. Maybe I should have used eggs instead, but I didn't think of that until later. Yesterday I also tried bracing their legs to see if that might help since their whole bodies just flop, but that did no good. :(
I tried the egg yolk on 2 that arrived (shipped birds) in bad shape, but they were too sick to eat anything. I think a lot of people use it successfully though. Sorry to hear the young ones aren't very strong.

I tried the egg yolk on 2 that arrived (shipped birds) in bad shape, but they were too sick to eat anything. I think a lot of people use it successfully though. Sorry to hear the young ones aren't very strong.
Sometimes they are just too weak to thrive. At least you know that you tried.

Back
Top Bottom