Arizona Chickens

Gallo, those are some amazing pics. I'm glad it didn't have your flock for dinner. I've had more hawks around the new place here than I had at the old place, but the young'uns have more big trees for cover, fortunately. I have been losing some, including my favorite roo to coyotes and roaming dogs. I've had to keep them in the az room most of the time. It takes forever to get everyone back in when I let them free range.

I've been bugging my bud for years to teach me and she blew me off again this past Christmas. I told her I wanted bunches & when she said 5 lbs of taters, I told her not enough! She taught me a lesson!
lau.gif

I guess she sure did. LOL Have one or a dozen for me when you sit down to dinner.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I would have to figure out something. This should be my last hatch unless my old girl Sage decides to lay, before it gets warmer.
I have learned a lesson in this. If the rest of the eggs don't hatch by the time the chicks are ready to go out with mother than take the chicks to a brooder until the others hatch and ready.
Is that a good plan? Little chicky is still doing good. I sure hope the other two eggs hatch!
fl.gif

I use a brooder that mama can fit in with the babies. Start small (I've used a 10 gallon aquarium), but have to move to larger quarters frequently. Something that is a couple of feet per side is a really good starting point--unless serama, then a lot smaller.

wow gallo, what kind of hawk is that? this morning on the way to drop off at school, the kids started yelling, look at that HUGE BIRD! there was an enormous hawk up in a eucalptus tree the size of an great horned owl! it was massive! couldn't make out the colors though but could easily carry off a hen.
th.gif

Ahhhh....look at the fuzzy little toes!! OK running back to my guest room for aversion therapy.

Mikey feed looks great. This evening I am going to ask a couple of questions on face-book and get my order together. Just need to find out if we get a days notice before the truck shows up and what happens if I am late. I will have a pretty good drive and a little planning would help me get out of the house sooner.

OK questions. I let my flocks out to mingle today and this bird shows up. Is it a Hawk??
Sorry for the poor pic quality, sun was too bright to see what I was doing.

I chased everyone into coops. When I did a head count my main roo is penned with the Lav ams and this silly little 12 week old cockerel is trying to mate with all my layers.

welcome-byc.gif
WELCOME ALL YOU NEW PEOPLE!!!!!

Looks like a red tail hawk

Thank you Bryan.

So far I guess my only questions would be:
  1. Has anyone here ever been sickened by their birds? from handling, eating, eating eggs? What caused it and what was the remedy?
  2. Have you ever lost a chick due to handling? Specifically children handling them.

I have my kids wash their hands very good after handling the birds to try to avoid any sicknesses. I really want the hens to be comfortable with my girls when the girls start caring for the coop and run. I worry though that the chicks will get sick or my kids will get sick. I've only had the chicks since Saturday. I do have them in my living room to make sure they are safe and warm.

I am starting to think that what I was told were New Hamp. Reds may actually be Buff Orphington's. Does anyone have pictures of 2-3 week old chicks so I can tell the difference? I have what I believe are RIR as well and they have brownish patterned wing feathers while the other three that I think are Buff have only blonde, no patterns in their wings and a just a tad bid darker blonde on the back.

Oh, and I am just LOVING...totally LOVING... watching the little chicks do their thing. Last night one of them was doing what I'd consider 'Dusting' at only 12 days old I was quite surprised to see this. At first I thought she might be in trouble as it appeared she was flailing about. After one of her 'sisters' walked over the top of her and made her stand up she got back to work with the wing flapping as if to try and bury herself. I couldn't help but laugh as she was covered in saw dust.

Another of mine, that I am hoping is not a roo, tends to act either like the big sister or the watcher. She's one of the Barred Rocks. She stands to sleep and when she finally collapses on top of the other sleeping chicks, all of the chicks stand up and then she stands back up. They all lay back down but her, go to sleep and the cycle repeats.

The sweetest natured in the bunch so far is the Ameraucana, named Parmesan. I am waiting to name the others as I have yet to be able to differentiate them.

I know I am just rambling but they are just so darn cute.

~Selina

This is my BO Daisy at 2 weeks old.

I use a brooder that mama can fit in with the babies. Start small (I've used a 10 gallon aquarium), but have to move to larger quarters frequently. Something that is a couple of feet per side is a really good starting point--unless serama, then a lot smaller.

SS, I don't understand
idunno.gif
How does the hen lay in the aquarium? Can you move a hen and her eggs once she gets broody to where ever you want her to be?

Back
Top Bottom