Arizona Chickens

Fuzzy not sure if you have horn toads there, but we just found 2 of them in 2 weeks here...granddaughter has them holed up in her room and playing with them...she is to let them out tomorrow, but will make her take pics beforehand, 1 of them was in my duck pen and crawled up her jeans...., I would have lost it...

Fuzzy not sure if you have horn toads there, but we just found 2 of them in 2 weeks here...granddaughter has them holed up in her room and playing with them...she is to let them out tomorrow, but will make her take pics beforehand, 1 of them was in my duck pen and crawled up her jeans...., I would have lost it...
I miss horny toads; we had loads of them when I was a kid in Texas; have only seen a very, very few in AZ.

PastryMama, thanks for keeping it real! I've dealt with all kinds from the upper crust to the bottom of the barrel. I stay as far away from the upper types as possible! Not to say that I hang with the pond scum... but I digress. Kudos to you for dealing with the godivas and surviving!!!

As for the chicken talk, we're probably going to give our black laced Delaware to my wife's Aunt since it's meaner than a bag of hornets to our new 6 month old hens. Hopefully the next in the pecking order doesn't go ninja on our babies as we truly love our new birds and one of the two lays consistently daily!

Point taken and taken well. Glad you corrected me on some things. I also know living with them is the better than relocating them. I personally love the snakes [not rattlers tho, sorry]. I think that rodents can poison feed to the point of loosing more chicks then just one to a hungry snake. Tell if I'm wrong.
We have in our area 4 diffeant types of snakes and I welcome them all. Red racer, gopher, king and bull snake. Never lost a chick yet to a snake.
Desertmarcy do we have horn toads in the area of Wittmann do you think?

Not sure on the horned lizards up there. I don't think the Regal makes it up that far. You might have the Short Horned Lizard. If you want to encourage them, make sure you don't poison ant hills, since they feed on ants.

I let all the snakes live in my yard, including the rattlers, but that's me...I had a gopher snake kill a young turkey and eat another one last year. I saw it leaving with a big bulge. I figure it is just my responsibility to make the pens predator-proof, whether it be to protect against hawks, bobcats, coyotes, or snakes, all of which are prevalent where I am. If there is a problem animal that is persistent in killing poultry, then it does go, but I do my best to make sure that doesn't happen. I have a lot of rodent problems here, mice and packrats. I need all the snake help I can get to control them. Especially the packrats, they can be so destructive to vehicles and anything else if you don't have it inside a building.

Thanks, I'm used to dysfunctional so I'll fit right in!
Here's my new outdoor run off the horse stall, it actually in the paddock with the horses, thus the extra fencing.
bc9936dd.jpg

Here's some older pix of the girls
02e3d7ab.jpg

Fluffy, Bandi, and Blue Belle
And the new girls
69d2821c.jpg

Cinnamon and Rosa Belle
507f7af8.jpg

The grubs I found in the garden and compost pile- WOOHOO say the chooks!
Great job! What is in the tupperware? I am always looking for new things to grow for the girls. I am super jealous of those grubs...
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom