Around the bend

MelissaR

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
You know you're irreversibly hooked on chickens when you walk through Target, see this (picture below) and the first thing that comes to mind is that it would make a great nest box.

34843_img_0179.jpg

It was on clearance for $12 and Yes, I bought it.

Now I have to find a way to secure it in the coop in a way that allows me to take it out and clean it.

LOL......I once got a wooden bookshel headboard to make it into nesting boxes (it was in the recycle pile at the convenience center.......

What was it supposed to be any????

Smile.

That looks great and will work well for a nest box. If you have a dremel or something that you can cut plastic with, you can catch the regular plastic totes on sale and just make your own cut out for around 4-5 bucks.

I bought one of those at target this summer! When I put it in the coop, the girls FREAKED! I left it in for over a week thinking they would get used to it but they would huddle as far away as possible. I put it outside of the coop on the patio and they still won't go near it even though they jump up on every other thing in the yard like they own the place.
hu.gif
Chickens are weird.
hmm.png

yep, I bet that would make a great nest box! I made a nest box out of a recycling bin that was very similar looking. I needed an "emergency nest box" as one of my girls started laying very early. I put 4 by 4s under it to raise it up (one sticks out front for them to jump on) and a piece of plywood on top for a cover. They love it! That is even better as the top will come off for cleaning.

I think it's intended as stackable storage. There where a couple of different sizes and the top is molded so that another box can be put on top.

Back
Top Bottom