Ascitis in 5 week old chick?

cd3farm

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2015
I just found a huge bubble 3 1/2 by maybe 3 1/2 inches on the belly and chest of my English Orpington chick that is about 5 weeks old. Is this Ascitis. It makes me want to take a pin and release the fluid.

No, I have raised chickens for 34 years and never seen anything like this. It extends from its chest to the vent and stands out about 2 inches. It seems to be filled with fluid. This thing is huge on this little guy.

Well, that's what I was thinking after doing some research. Sure hate to put it down. It acts perfectly normal but the bubble is huge.

After reading all your replys I went down to check on the chick and it no longer looked like a big balloon, but the puffiness covered the entire belly and you could feel what felt like organs and intestines and that sort of thing. I just put it down. Maybe it was a hernia or something, but was totally wrong.I felt bad, because he seemed in good spirits and was running around and acting like a normal chick. He had just ballooned out twice the others size!

Back
Top Bottom