Ask a chef

Pics

attimus

Songster
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
Bootjack California, just west of yosemite
So, after some encouragement from a few fellow byc members I've decided to start this thread. In the hopes of giving insite, inspiring great ideas and sharing wonderful food. As well as my far share of learning, because when it comes to food there really is a world of information to learn.

Food is to share after all.

A brief history so you all don't think I'm some loon.
I started cooking at the Ahwahnee hotel in Yosemite national park just over 15 years ago, Ive lived and worked on the coast in northern California in a small town called Arcata, so close to the ocean and mountains at the same time, lived in San Francisco a block off of haight St. emersed in Street food as well as finer cuisines, spent a bit of time around Venice off and on for a bit of that southern California influence. Now I reside back in my home town nestled in the foothills just outside of Yosemite working at the #1 billed eatery in town.
I've worked at places big and small, of various types of cuisine, started as a dishwasher at most of them. Ive Catered tour groups and cooked food for a handful of celebrities. Worked any shift a restrauant can hold. Ive spent a long time immersing myself in food and it goes beyond just being work.
I love cooking in the kitchen at home and sharing meals with my family. Any new recipe is a challenge issued to not just accomplish it's completion but get it perfect as well, to put one more in the books so to speak. And as I share what I can do with people here on byc I find there's so much more to learn and so many more challenges accepted. I can't say I specialize in one aspect of the kitchen or prefer one method of cooking because it's all food and I really do love it.
This brief history is becoming not so brief so I'll leave it at this....
Food is to share. And you'll always find the best meals when you love what your cooking.
I plan on sharing alot here and I hope when the need arises, answering as many questions about food as am able.
Please enjoy any recipe I post and question my methods as it only makes the wheels turn more.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

Big thanks to @lindalouly for hounding me enough to start this(better spread that word now ;) )

You can also check out my daily comings and goings with the microfarm here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/944651/my-very-own-micro-farm/840_70#post_16745680

Last edited:
Today Shabat dinner
Sea Bream in lemon olive oil,salt, pepper cumin, fresh garlic and Sumak.
20171013_174630.jpg
20171013_185330.jpg

Fresh organic whole grain spellt sower dough (5 years of age!) Bred
20171013_123040.jpg

20171013_194440.jpg

Home made pasta with home made pesto souce, wonderful salad
And home made cheese cake and freshly rosted coffee!

Last edited:
Starting it off.
slow roasted karobuta pork belly, parsnip puree and flash sauted Brussels sprouts, topped with honey peach compote.

Paired with a melon trio salad(watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew) light spring mix, toasted almonds and honey infused goat cheese with a caramelized orange vinegrette all tossed together with finely chopped fresh herbs(thyme, basil, marjoram and tarragon) and a green onion garnish.

A.

If you want I can explain the since behind it.
I read debs reply, but I would love the scientific explanation

When you heat water the water molecules increase their movement. This movement is measured by a Physical valu cald TEMPERATURE. More heat in the water = temp raising. This is correct til you reach the temp of 100C .in this temp the extra heat is not turned to Movement AKA temp, but to Braking the choisyon forces holding the water molecules together AKA boiling and evaporation!
This is correct in the sea level where the air pressure is 1 atm, in hige mountain werer the air pressure is less then 1 atmosphere the boiling temp is much less then 100 C, I saw an experiment that in vacuum the water boiling temp was 25 C!
So you can understand that the boiling temp is corolated with the air pressure, low pressure=low boiling temp and HIGE PRESURE = HIGER BOILING TEMP OF WATER!
So in a pressure cooker the closing of the lid and the beginning of the cooking is Rising the PRESSURE in the pot= hige boiling temp of water =LIQUID water in THE FOOD which have temperature Higher then 100C= LESS time to cook the food!
And that is way pressure cooker need less time to cook.

Last edited:
Brisket in red wine
Materials
A. 2-3 kg biff brisket in one pice.
B. 2 bay leaf, 1 hade of garlic cut in half, mustard seeds, 1 stalk of Rosemary, black pepper, salt.
C. 0.5 bottle of good red wine.
D. Olive or vegetable oil.
C. Hot water.
MO:
In a broad and heavy pot you put some oil and all the list that is in section B.
After the oil became hit and the herbs give away there aromas, you put the meat in the pan and fry/roast it from all it sides, until its gets a nice color all over, then you pore the wine in the pot and let it seamer wile you turn the meat several time, once the wine as evaporate all its alcohol, add hot water to the 3/4 hight of the meat bring the water to boil, and reduce the flame to minimum and let it kook cover fir 3-4 ours, you need to turn it several time and if it need some water add 0.5-1 cup of hot water.
In the end of cooking the meat have to be tender that fork can enter it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom