White leghorn has large lump on her throat/neck. Urgent! (Plus questions on living conditions & more.)

Mark_Khrushchev

Songster
Jul 27, 2019
Hialeah, FL
Hello, I haven't been on the forum for a while but I have returned for an unfortunate reason. I have a ~5 year old White Leghorn who has been acting a little sick the past week or so. She started acting ill a few days ago with usual symptoms often seen with many diseases (Hunched over, Inactive, Hiding, etc). I quickly separated her to a cage with plenty of food and water (with Nutridrench). After about 2 days, she started looking better so I returned her to the coop with the others. Although she seemingly recovered, I did notice she was lighter than the other Leghorns in the flock. But it wasn't until today in the morning where I noticed that she was acting up again, this time however, she seemed to have developed a lump on her upper neck. I separated her in a cage with food and water. After about an hour, I started giving her water manually with a syringe since I didn't see her drink. I force fed her electrolytes and Nutridrench to keep her going while I researched about it. I don't have many chicken "first-aid" suppliments here. So as a last, desperate resort, I gave her some SafeGuard dewormer since I was getting very worried that if something had even a small chance to work, it was wise to do it. I kept force feeding her water and she seemed to have gotten a little more stable. Something I noticed is that there was alot of mucus and foam in her mouth and an unpleasant smell radiating from her beak. But she seemed to have been consuming what was force fed to her. I also weighed her and noticed she was only 1075 grams (2.4 Pounds), which very light, but this was on an empty crop so I have no reference to compare to. Below are some images of her in different postures and a picture of her stool. (She looks normal with her neck retracted, but it's visible with her neck stretched out. It just looks like puffed feathers but it's an actual lump protruding from her neck.)

1711427019983.png
1711427086224.png
1711427035965.png
1711427101722.png
1711427134054.png

1711427292546.png

Something that worries me is that I had a Buff Orpington die recently (A few weeks ago). She also had alot of foam and mucus coming from her beak but I didn't (And don't) know what it was, however she did not have the same neck inflammation. That Orpington and this this Leghorn were bought from TSC about 5 years ago, it was 2 Orpingtons and 4 Leghorn pullets. My 2 big concerns for possible causes are either wild pigeons/finches transmitting diseases to the flock, or the fact that there being 6 Muscovy ducks in the same coop could contaminate the drinking water. Our setup involves 3 large bowls of water which serve as both drinking water and bathe water for the ducks and the chickens that share the same coop. Even though I replace the water everyday, it always gets muddy and dirty less than an hour of replacing it. This is due to the ducks getting in the water and dirtying it up, possibly spreading diseases? I don't have final say with what goes on with the animals in the yard, but if it were up to me we wouldn't any ducks with the chickens (6 Muscovy ducks and 6 chickens in the same coop seems bad). Diet could also be a concern here? We feed them kitchen scraps and expired food, along with cracked corn almost all year long. We sometimes give them layer pellets but usually it's just cracked corn and scraps. But in my opinion, this diet isn't providing enough nutrients to the birds, and they underperform their laying rate... Alas, I don't have much hopes in this chicken surviving tonight. But if this thread can help someone else, that would be very appreciated. Thanks for your time.

The diet is terrible, and not balanced. Is she eating and drinking? Layer or all flock/flock raiser feed should be what she is getting. Can you get a picture of the inside of her beak, in case she has any canker? Is there any yellow material inside her beak or on her tongue? Is her crop emptying by early morning? Both canker and sour crop can have a bad odor. Some respiratory diseases smells bad as well. Her poop looks like a reproductive infection, possibly with E.coli or other bacteria. With her posture and comb color, she may be dying. A vet if possible would be best, since most antibiotics are hard to get nowadays.

The diet is terrible, and not balanced. Is she eating and drinking? Layer or all flock/flock raiser feed should be what she is getting. Can you get a picture of the inside of her beak, in case she has any canker? Is there any yellow material inside her beak or on her tongue? Is her crop emptying by early morning? Both canker and sour crop can have a bad odor. Some respiratory diseases smells bad as well. Her poop looks like a reproductive infection, possibly with E.coli or other bacteria. With her posture and comb color, she may be dying. A vet if possible would be best, since most antibiotics are hard to get nowadays.
Thanks for the helpful response! She made it through the night but is still in the same condition it seems. I forgot to mention I did apply some VetRX to her comb, beak, and wings yesterday to hopefully clear out the mucus, but I'm unsure if that's going to work... This is a grim diagnosis and I feel awful for ignoring the issue so long. I don't have authority with the chickens but I've pleaded with my parents to change their diet and get rid of the muscovies. Hopefully this incident gets them to change for once. Unfortunately I doubt they'll be willing to pay any vet fees so that's not an option currently. My 2 main concerns are: What could be causing the lump on the neck? and, Does the 1:1 Muscovy to chicken ratio in the flock affect them? And lastly, do you know of any medication that could possibly help at all even if it won't save her at this point? Thank you!

She seems somewhat stable as of now. I've been force feeding a bit of Nutridrench, Elctrolytes, Amoxicillin, and baby bird feed every day. I've also been rubbing VetRX on her waddle, comb, and under her wings at night time. The lump is still there, any leads on what that could be?

I don’t really know if feeding duck feed is ideal for chickens and if they have a negative effect on the chickens. I wouldn’t risk it as they need different nutrients and amounts of stuff. The food you have been feeding them is unbalanced and not great. Just give them layer feed or flock feed since that may be causing all the problems. Have you noticed anything strange with your other chickens? I’m unsure about the lump but her comb is floppy which isn’t good. Try giving her supplements and other things as well as grit. She seems to be dying with all the symptoms she’s exhibiting. I think your best option would be to cull her or isolate her from the rest of your flock. Please fix their diet!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your bird! The smelly breath could be sour crop, if you'd like to research that.

Whenever I see a dark, purplish comb, I know that things aren't good. But I hope someone can help you out, and she gets better! :hugs

Did you look inside the beak for the yellow material or canker? Can you get a picture of the lump you are seeing? Where exactly is that bump?

Did you look inside the beak for the yellow material or canker? Can you get a picture of the lump you are seeing? Where exactly is that bump?
Nope didn't see anything in there. Granted it was mostly dark so I will have to use a flashlight and carefully exam deeper if I can. Here are some images of the lump, it might blend in with the neck but it isn't. This is a firm lump under the skin:
1711944871915.png

1711944907271.png

1711944952654.png

1711945000433.png

It could be a cyst or tumor. Those can be common in chickens all over, but common around the neck. Is there any scab or mark on the skin under the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom