What is this lump?

gunters09

Hatching
Nov 4, 2023
Ok so I got this chicken about a month ago and noticed she had a hard scabby lump on her neck/ chest area. She does not act like it affects her eating or drinking she is not laying of course from molting and not sure how old she is anyway. But she runs around fine with the other chickens and acts normal my question is what is this and will it affect her laying or the other chickens. The lump is hard it does not move around so any guesses?

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpeg
    IMG_4842.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4843.jpeg
    IMG_4843.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4844.jpeg
    IMG_4844.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 20
Does she rub on anything where she perches or somewhere else?

It sort of looks like a breast blister they can get on their breast bones from their perch. I would soak it in warm Epsom salt water soaked in a rag for several minutes and try clean some of the old scabby stuff off of it. If you do that and it winds up exposing her flesh, I'd cover it with antibiotic cream, like regular Neosporin. You may need to keep doing that for several days, but I'd try figure out what she's doing as I think it's self-inflicted.

It could be either an ingrown feather cyst, but it could also be a type of skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma. If you could at some time disinfect the skin and try to probe it with a sterilized needle to see if there is hardened pus inside or not, it might be helpful. It should not affect her laying, and if it is a cancer, it may not be fast growing. A vet would be best to help diagnose it, or if you someday lose her, I would have the state vet lab do a necropsy.

Ok so I got this chicken about a month ago and noticed she had a hard scabby lump on her neck/ chest area. She does not act like it affects her eating or drinking she is not laying of course from molting and not sure how old she is anyway. But she runs around fine with the other chickens and acts normal my question is what is this and will it affect her laying or the other chickens. The lump is hard it does not move around so any guesses?
Did you figure out what it was? I have a rooster with a similar scab underneath near his butt.

Did you figure out what it was? I have a rooster with a similar scab underneath near his butt.
Sorry I just now seen this message in the thread. We were told it was a tumor and could have been just a genetic issue or maybe caused by getting really sick as a chick. But the hens tumors in her neck got so big that she passed from not being able to eat

Sorry I just now seen this message in the thread. We were told it was a tumor and could have been just a genetic issue or maybe caused by getting really sick as a chick. But the hens tumors in her neck got so big that she passed from not being able to eat
So sorry for your loss. If something like that happens again, if you ask your state vet to do a necropsy, they can tell you what it was.

Back
Top Bottom