Ask a chef

Pics

There are no words for a good piece of smoked chicken!!

Wonderful! Make my mouth mmmm
What fid you use? Hickory? Mesquite? Cherry?

Preparation for Shabat dinner
A Libian chiken tomatoes and potatoes stew " Tbecha bill tmatem"

Backed salmon filte with vingrate and taragon with green beens and red cherry tomatoes and yellow date tomatoes

Chees cake ( that is the making of my doghater! )

Roasted pork shank. Cauliflower puree.
Sauted swiss chard with bacon.
Blackberry honey drizzle
Mint and citrus zest garnish

Spring mix. Julienned jicama.
Sweet cherry peppers and baby artichoke hearts
W/ toasted walnut and fresh herb vinagrette

Our latest chefs special at work

A.

Last nights dinner, all off the bbq.
Corn on cob. New york steak. Grilled zuchinni.

Getting my mix started for some pickled eggs

About half the salads from a function the other day

And some desserts going out, brownie a la mode. Chocolate sauce and powdered sugar

Lamb stew from a few nights ago, with some stock i rendered from another lamb hock i cooked down for a few days.

And some bread to go with it
gee thanks Benny. Here it is one a.m. and now I'm starving lol. Gonna look over this thread tomorrow. Really thanks Benny for the link.

Ok remember that turkey i stuffed into the crock pot?

Salted peppered garlic and Poultry seasoning.... all shook on. Spatch cocked bird stuffed into the crockpot.... No water no veggies wasnt room. but the lid sealed...

It was done when the meat came to 160 degrees. By morning the house smelled like Thanksgiving.

I went to pull the meat out and it litterally was falling off the bone. I picked the dark meat and put it back in the pot with the juice. Pulled out all the bones. The breast I pulled out and sliced it in three quarter inch slices and put it in a freezer container... Lunch meat.

The broth and dark meat went back into the crockpot along with a can of spinach. It needed no further seasoning. served it as a stew.... with stovetop stuffing as a side.... Served it as a soup a day later. Served the chicken breast in sandwiches.... Made a Caprisi Salad with turkey and the Basalmic vinegar was good with all of it...

So far I have gotten about four days worth of meals.

Grandma is a sandwich eater so I fixed her a turkey sandwich with a little Pico de Gallo sprinkled on top....

I made a turkey salad with breast chunks Pico de Gallo fresh chopped tomato Capers and a bout a table spoon of Ceasar salad dressing....

I still have at least one more dinner and a couple more sandwiches to make out of it all.

Very happy with the choice.

The broth is the very best part.... it jells in the refrigerator and is very rich.

deb

Ok remember that turkey i stuffed into the crock pot?  

Salted peppered garlic and Poultry seasoning....  all shook on.  Spatch cocked bird stuffed into the crockpot.... No water no veggies wasnt room.  but the lid sealed...

It was done when the meat came to 160 degrees.  By morning  the house smelled like Thanksgiving.

I went to pull the meat out and it litterally was falling off the bone.   I picked the dark meat and put it back in the pot with the juice.  Pulled out all the bones.   The breast I pulled out and sliced it in three quarter inch slices and put it in a freezer container... Lunch meat.

The broth and dark meat went back into the crockpot along with a can of spinach.  It needed no further seasoning.    served it as a stew.... with stovetop stuffing as a side....   Served it as a soup a day later.     Served the chicken breast in sandwiches....    Made a Caprisi Salad  with turkey and the Basalmic vinegar was good with all of it...

So far I have gotten about four days worth of meals.

Grandma is a sandwich eater so I fixed her a turkey sandwich with a little Pico de Gallo sprinkled on top....

I made a turkey salad with breast chunks Pico de Gallo fresh chopped tomato Capers and a bout a table spoon of Ceasar salad dressing....

I still have at least one more dinner and a couple more sandwiches to make out of it all.

Very happy with the choice.

The broth is the very best part....  it jells in the refrigerator and is very rich.  

deb

Use it as a base for your next stew!

Fresh turnip greens from the garden today. Trying a new recipe with them.
Southern Turnips
4 lbs. turnips
2-4 slices bacon
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 c brown sugar
2/3 c apple cider vinegar
1 med. onion diced
3 Tbsp salt
6 c water

Brown bacon and chop add onion, crushed red pepper let onion simmer till clear.
Add brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt and water.
Add turnips simmer 4 hrs.

I will be cooking some pork chops breaded with
dredged in milk and egg
1 c flour
1 c corn meal
salt
pepper
garlic
cayenne pepper
fried in lard

Turnips will be served over cornbread.

The turnips are great and so is the pork chops!

Last edited:
been a long time since I had Turnip greens....
droolin.gif
moms recipe didnt involve sugar... so they were bitter but I love bitter tastes... we did use vinegar at the table as a condiment.

Salt pork with rind removed sliced and rendered in the pot... pull the pork out and start wilting the greens...... once all in the pot you can either put the pork back in or serve it crumbled on top instead of salt..... Oh my when I cook greens this way some of that pork mysteriously disappers during cooking...

I am due to cook some mustard greens... Havent found turnip greens in the store in about twenty years.

By the way my favorite way to eat turnips is sliced up like apple slices and served with a bit of salt.....
droolin.gif
dont like em cooked.

deb

been a long time since I had Turnip greens....
droolin.gif
moms recipe didnt involve sugar... so they were bitter but I love bitter tastes... we did use vinegar at the table as a condiment.

Salt pork with rind removed sliced and rendered in the pot... pull the pork out and start wilting the greens...... once all in the pot you can either put the pork back in or serve it crumbled on top instead of salt..... Oh my when I cook greens this way some of that pork mysteriously disappers during cooking...

I am due to cook some mustard greens... Havent found turnip greens in the store in about twenty years.

By the way my favorite way to eat turnips is sliced up like apple slices and served with a bit of salt.....
droolin.gif
dont like em cooked.

deb
Sounds like y'all eat turnips southern style.
We usually use pepper sauce on the table with any greens. By pepper sauce I mean banana peppers with a little jalepeno pepper in them they are covered in vinegar with a tsp. of salt to keep them preserved. When I make the pepper sauce I boil the vinegar with the salt in it.
We don't eat the turnips but the cows do so they don't go to waste.
tongue.png

The rest of my family used to use fatback or pork belly for their greens and vegetables.
I grew our turnips in a Walmart re-usable grocery bag filled with potting soil. It holds 7 gallons of soil and grew a bunch of greens.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom