Ask a chef

should be fine between 35-40 degrees for an extended time. Just don't let them freeze.
But do you know what to put them in and how? I know they can't be stored near potatoes which if not in soil need to be wrapped in newspaper and not touching because of what they release.

Last edited:
But do you know what to put them in and how? I know they can't be stored near potatoes which if not in soil need to be wrapped in newspaper and not touching because of what they release.
at larger restaurants, we stored apples in papercrates in dry storage. Don't keep enough on hand now for long term to be an issue. Am looking forward to a few years from now However when I get enough fruit from a tree for it to be a problem. Lol.

:drool Stroganoff is in my top twenty. I love it. Where is dinner? I have tons of beef from my steer I just slaughtered.
totally missed this post about you butchering a steer. Must have been a task. I'm getting ready to do a turkey today and its the biggest animal I'll have done. If you don't know about it and have that much meat you should look into the malliard(sp) effect. Basically it's what happens when you cook meat but in reality it's a whole lot more complex, 1000s of micro-chemical reactions taking place. To produce such a wonderful flavor. Roast grill broil stew stuff wrap, just a few ideas to start. Seriously though that's gotta be alot of meat.

Sauted chanterelle mushroom appetizer from work last night. They're in season and freshly picked by our local mushroom guy.

A.

totally missed this post about you butchering a steer. Must have been a task. I'm getting ready to do a turkey today and its the biggest animal I'll have done. If you don't know about it and have that much meat you should look into the malliard(sp) effect. Basically it's what happens when you cook meat but in reality it's a whole lot more complex, 1000s of micro-chemical reactions taking place. To produce such a wonderful flavor. Roast grill broil stew stuff wrap, just a few ideas to start. Seriously though that's gotta be alot of meat.

Sauted chanterelle mushroom appetizer from work last night. They're in season and freshly picked by our local mushroom guy.

A.
Well, I have done deer, but I sent the steer to the processor, and he was smaller than my normal ones. 600lbs hanging weight. I sell half to my sister and her family, sella quarter to a friend and keep a quarter. Fifty eight pounds of hamburger plus steaks, roasts, ribs, and stew bones in my quarter.
I had a nice sirloin to celebrate.

Help!!!

I have a beef heart. Lol my mom was no help; her response was "yuck."

Thanks for nothing, mom :p

I've googled recipes for kebabs, roasting it, searing it, etc...

I'm about to make it into jerky, I'm so scared to do anything with it.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I've seen some pretty creative dishes here, so I'm eager to see what we can come up with! :)

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom