Ask your chick related questions HERE! (Newbies welcome!)

LotsOLopsChicks

Chirping
Feb 21, 2015
Virginia
So if you ask a chick related question, I'll do my best to answer, I think it's a good idea because it'll help me and you learn more about chicks!

Simple/Stupid questions ARE NOT stupid in my view- when your just starting out you don't know lol!

We were all there once so ask away!!

~LotsOLopsChicks

Hi,
I have my brooder set up (chicks any day) and I know the temp should be around 95 (I'm using a rubbermaid with chickenwire attached to the lid). Anyway, I have a digital thermometer under the heat lamp and it's reading about 93 (ambient air- I can tell because it varies when there is a draft). I do have a very nice laser spot checker, but when I use that to check the temp at the bottom it's reading 101! So... what the heck?! How does everyone measure their temps and which should I believe? If I raise the light the temp in the brooder drops to 70 something, but my readings on the spot checker are closer to 90. I haven't really done much for bedding (just paper towels), so it could just be the plastic getting hot. Any advice? I don't want to freeze and/or fry them.

I have a couple of thoughts...

Firstly: The laser thermometer is probably measuring the temperature of the plastic tub and the digital thermometer is measuring the air temp at whatever level you have it installed at.

Secondly: With kindle and kindle apps it is nearly never to late to get a good book on the subject even if only to dispel doubts. Gail Damerow has some nice books on the subject that are available in about a minute via a kindle device or a kindle app on your computer, Android device, or Apple device.

Free advice: Prayer, it couldn't hurt.

I have a couple of thoughts...

Firstly: The laser thermometer is probably measuring the temperature of the plastic tub and the digital thermometer is measuring the air temp at whatever level you have it installed at.

Secondly: With kindle and kindle apps it is nearly never to late to get a good book on the subject even if only to dispel doubts. Gail Damerow has some nice books on the subject that are available in about a minute via a kindle device or a kindle app on your computer, Android device, or Apple device.

Free advice: Prayer, it couldn't hurt.
Thanks for the advice, but I'd ask you to please let me answer questions, unless I don't know the answer. Thank you so much!

Hi,
I have my brooder set up (chicks any day) and I know the temp should be around 95 (I'm using a rubbermaid with chickenwire attached to the lid). Anyway, I have a digital thermometer under the heat lamp and it's reading about 93 (ambient air- I can tell because it varies when there is a draft). I do have a very nice laser spot checker, but when I use that to check the temp at the bottom it's reading 101! So... what the heck?! How does everyone measure their temps and which should I believe? If I raise the light the temp in the brooder drops to 70 something, but my readings on the spot checker are closer to 90. I haven't really done much for bedding (just paper towels), so it could just be the plastic getting hot. Any advice? I don't want to freeze and/or fry them.
Hello Svenskavessla,

Congratulations on the new additions to the family! (Trust me, chicken math will get ya)
You've got the correct temperature, 95 first week, and lower by 5 degrees each week. :)

Now, the laser thermomenter is probably reading the plastic, as other person stated. ((Thanks for your input!))

But, really the best way to measure temperature is by the chicks! 95 is roughly, 93 is fine too. But the chicks are the best way, follow the chicks, not the books, is a good idea. Books are great btw! But chicks will tell you if they are comfy.

So, the legend for reading the chicks:

~Chicks Huddled Under Heat Lamp= Chicks too cold
~Chicks Huddled Away From Heat Lamp= Chicks to warm
~Chicks Huddled Against the brooder, in any place=Chicks are probably facing away from a cold draft
~Chicks Distrupted evenly throughout brooder, some under heat lamp, some not=Chicks are perfecto!
~Chicks sleeping under heatlamp ((Not huddled))=Most likely perfecto!

The book Hatching &Brooding Your Own Chicks is an awesome book, I don't own it but I borrowed it from the libarary and I would love to own it! It focuses on chickens, but goes over guineas, waterfowl, poults and more I think. It has a very good description of the chicks comfort level in it, as I just told you. I recommend you to check it out!
Here is a link to buy it off Amazon, you may also find it at your local library:
Hatching and Brooding Your Own Chicks

Best of Luck!
~LotsOLopsChicks

I'm a little confused on how to tell the difference between huddling for sleeping vs. huddling for warmth (I have my box at about 85 degrees and have three chicks in different stages of feathering).

Hi,
Is it normal to have one chick that is not growing as fast as the others.
I have had them for a week today, and all of them have doubled in size except for the one little one...

I'm a little confused on how to tell the difference between huddling for sleeping vs. huddling for warmth (I have my box at about 85 degrees and have three chicks in different stages of feathering).
Hi SusanD,

Oh yes, that can be confusing. With chicks at different stages try to get the temperature between the one for the most developed and the one for the least. I have some pictures (not mine) to show you.
Chicks huddling for warmth , they'll also cheep loudly, not communicating to others, but as a distressed/cold/thirsty/hungry. If you do a google there are some great posts on raising baby chicks:

http://www.everyday-vegetable-garden.com/baby-chickens.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/baby-chick-basics-what-you-need-to-know.html

I hope I answered your question!
~LotsOlopsChicks

Hi,
Is it normal to have one chick that is not growing as fast as the others.
I have had them for a week today, and all of them have doubled in size except for the one little one...
Hi Scottw,

I'd say it is. You may want to watch and make sure this chick gets feed and water, or do the others get there before them? Also check backside for pasty rear end. I can't think of any reason he'd stop growing besides those two things, really. How old are they? Can you post size compariosn pictures? Where did you get them from? The same place, same time? Are they the same breed? A lot of things can key in, so if you could answer those questions that'd be great.

thanks!

~lotsolopschicks

Back
Top Bottom