Asparagus Galore

dianehodges

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010

Dug out my asparagus bed Roots very large Started with 10 plants, and after 5 years I have a wheel barrow full of roots Will transplant into larger area, sell some and give some away I love gardening, such a learning experience

Are you supposed to dig them up? I planted some year old roots in the ground last year. I had a few shoots come up but I was told not to use them the first year. So I just left them, now my bed had grown over a bit. How do I prep the bed for spring? Do I need to dig up my roots and replant?

Are you supposed to dig them up? I planted some year old roots in the ground last year. I had a few shoots come up but I was told not to use them the first year. So I just left them, now my bed had grown over a bit. How do I prep the bed for spring? Do I need to dig up my roots and replant?

No, don't dig them up for several years. They need to grow and store energy for producing stalks that you can eat. You only dig them up if you need to move them to a new area that's larger. This year you can eat some of the stalks that come up but leave about half of them to help the roots grow bigger, then next year you can eat what you want. You can add some compost into the soil around your asparagus roots but only dig it in the top couple of inches and don't disturb the roots. You'll want to clean out any weeds or grass that has grown into the bed but other than that just leave them alone and let them do their thing.

Back
Top Bottom