Assisted too early

balutsaver

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2022
New to hatching and ducks in general. I assisted too early before researching on the internet and i think the egg sac has not been absorbed. I have gradually for 2 days been chipping away at the shell until today the duckling finally started to wiggle out. I saw the egg sac was still attached But I don’t know if it’s supposed to be green and white. What do I do?

Attachments

• 583431CD-A591-4FF1-B8B0-1119953B4AF0.jpeg
    583431CD-A591-4FF1-B8B0-1119953B4AF0.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 2C1E0AE0-6A41-44D9-AD87-D696ABDC298E.jpeg
    2C1E0AE0-6A41-44D9-AD87-D696ABDC298E.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 60
I'm no expert, but I would leave it. @CluckNDoodle?

I've heard you can put them in a cup so they don't move around too much.

This is from the guide to assisted hatching for all poultry

"Yolk Sac Not Fully Absorbed

Your chick hatched early, or you assisted a little too soon, and the yolk was not done absorbing. Don't panic, there's an easy fix. Firstly, you need to get that chick back into the lower half of its shell, if it has come out. Tuck it gently back in there. This will protect the yolk and keep it from getting ruptured. Next, you need to keep the chick in the shell and from being able to push itself out. We accomplish this by placing the chick, shell, and all, into a small cup, which will hold the shell and the chick upright, thus preventing it from getting out of the egg. I find that a disposable plastic cup works well for this. You may have to prop the egg upright by using a dry paper towel to hold it in the proper position.

Guide to Assisted Hatching

If there is a lot of yolk, it may take some time for the chick to finish absorbing it. Just let it be. When it's done, it'll be really moving around and struggling to get out of the bottom of the shell."

I'm no expert, but I would leave it. @CluckNDoodle?

I've heard you can put them in a cup so they don't move around too much.

This is from the guide to assisted hatching for all poultry

"Yolk Sac Not Fully Absorbed

Your chick hatched early, or you assisted a little too soon, and the yolk was not done absorbing. Don't panic, there's an easy fix. Firstly, you need to get that chick back into the lower half of its shell, if it has come out. Tuck it gently back in there. This will protect the yolk and keep it from getting ruptured. Next, you need to keep the chick in the shell and from being able to push itself out. We accomplish this by placing the chick, shell, and all, into a small cup, which will hold the shell and the chick upright, thus preventing it from getting out of the egg. I find that a disposable plastic cup works well for this. You may have to prop the egg upright by using a dry paper towel to hold it in the proper position.

Guide to Assisted Hatching

If there is a lot of yolk, it may take some time for the chick to finish absorbing it. Just let it be. When it's done, it'll be really moving around and struggling to get out of the bottom of the shell."
Would this still work for this duckling? The yolk sac is a dark brown with green and white. Is this normal? Plus the sac is barely holding on. Do I still use the cup method?

You can leave it in a cup to stop it from moving otherwise not really I had one hatch same problem but died after it dried up
Does the egg sac separate the the duckling? Could I try detaching the duckling from the sac and just hand feed, or will the duckling just bleed out.

Here's some more reading I did:

"Just before a chick hatches from an egg, it 'absorbs' the yolk sac through the navel. Once the yolk sac is fully absorbed, the navel immediately begins to heal and dries out. However, if chicks are unable to fully absorb the yolk sac prior to hatching (or are helped out of the egg before they were meant to hatch), they will have an attached mass apparent on the outside of their bodies, which is the unabsorbed yolk sac. Chicks with unabsorbed yolk sacs are at a great disadvantage. The yolk of the egg is a source of vital nutrients and protective antibodies for the chick. When chicks are unable to absorb all of the nutrients, they will not be as strong and have a weakened immune system. In addition, unabsorbed yolk sacs are essentially an unhealed naval or open lesion, which makes the chick more susceptible to bacteria infection. When yolk sacs become infected, they are often described as yellowish-brown to green to yellowish red in color."

It seem to me like this is what happened.

Unfortunately, it also says this:

"Most chicks with a yolk sac infection die within 24 hours of hatching, peaking at 5 to 7 days. Chicks that make it to day 2 or 3 are often much smaller than the other birds. Any chicks that recover will have a poor immune system, making them more susceptible to infection with other opportunistic pathogens and developing chronic respiratory diseases."

It has this for treatment, though:

Supportive care: Apply 1% iodine solution to the umbilici of any chicks which were assisted hatches. Antibiotics: Amikacin or tobramycin for 72 hours. Probiotics: For the first 2 weeks of life. Electrolytes: Given orally for the first 24-48 hours.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/chick-yolk-sac-infection-omphalitis

Back
Top Bottom