At what age do silkies start to lay????

Pics
Mine start laying between 4 - 5 months.
big_smile.png

Most of my silkies have started laying around 7 months. But they don't lay very often. Just sit in the nest box for hours. They must think they are sitting on eggs but I lift them up and show them there aren't any. Silkies are cute and sweet but not terribly great egg producers! And their eggs are teeny tiny.

my girl laid her first egg yesterday. she hasn't got 24/7 accsess to grass but I let her out to run around every day and she is eating egg lay mix (im pretty sure. it's some kind of egg lay stuff) and if Is summer/autumn here. (Australia). I really want to know how old she is but first need to know when the aprox time of egg lay age she is. then I can do the math

Anyone able to help me out???

I have 8 silkies in four different colors that are 5 1/2 months old & 3 of them just started laying last week. So far they are laying an egg every other day. I ordered all male silkies, but on reading more about silkies the books say that the silkie chicken is the hardest chicken to sex, so I may have more hens. The books also say the hens can start laying from 5 months - 9 months old. I may have to wait a few more months to see how many hens & how many roosters I have. They are such wonderful little creatures that it doesn't matter if I have hens or roosters. It sure is fun trying to guess which is a hen & which is a rooster. So far I am at 2 to 1. The two I thought were roosters because of the big waddles turned out to start laying eggs last week.

I got 7 silkies in April. 1 died in July. 1 started laying consistently in August everyday. Now mid-september we started getting about 4 per day. This morning a coyote killed 3,2 are ok, and 1 is missing probably dragged off by the coyote. Searching for 1 i checked the hen house, not in there but there was an egg that I took out. I locked the 2 left in the hen house to keep safe since that darn coyote was circling my yard. When I went out a few hours later to let the hens out, there were 8 eggs in the nesting box, 7 were still warm. So I had 9 eggs in 1 day. I guess the coyote scared the eggs right out of the 2 girls.

Back
Top Bottom