At what age do they begin to roost at night?

Sad news this morning. Lost one of my RIR last night. The neighbor dog snuck over, my son heard some commotion down by the coop and ran down. One of my sexlinks was freaking out and jumped on the fence and back in the run. Then he heard splashing in the brook. Ran to the brook and saw the neighbor dog running home. Can't find one of my girls. I am assuming he got her. Sure wish I could find her. We searched till 11 last night and out again this morning and no sign of her. I was worried about fox, raccoons, etc and then I lose one to the neighbor dog.
sad.png

Littletonchicks, I am so sorry to hear about losing one of your babies!
hugs.gif
And when it's from a neighbors dog that makes it all the worse. In my state people are supposed to have their dogs under control at all times, but I have a neighbor with a mean Doberman who regularly comes over to my property. One time the neighbor was down on his tractor and I was in my garden bending down. I heard what I thought was growling, looked up and didn't see anything. Then I heard it again and turned around. Not only was his Doberman, but also his part Shepherd in back of me like they were going to pounce. I called the dog officer and the neighbor denied everything. Of course he would, he wasn't even within ear-shot! But my point is that I know I won't be able to allow my chickens to free range, even if I'm at home with them because they wouldn't be safe. Some neighbors have no common sense but if I were you I would call them and tell them what happened. If they deny or refuse, tell them that you are going to give the dog a lead sandwich if there's a next time : )

Lbrad7, yep a bear but they usually don't come close to houses this time of year. I had one demolish my lilac bush (had bird feeders on it) about 3-4 years ago though in the early Spring. I figured she was hungry and heard that there was a momma bear with two cubs running around the area.

Quote:
I understand completely! One of mine would coo and pace for until I let him out to "roost" on me for awhile each enening. But I had to toughen up, I don't want him to lose out on a place in the flock- if that's possible? (I imagined that they'd all be like "oh look at Soup, he's a momma's baby! Let's go peck him"
big_smile.png
Haha!)

PS Could someone tell me how to post a question on here?
roll.png

Well I have good news to report. DH checked on the girls all day long hoping that just maybe she would come back. About 4:00 P.M. he went down and did a head count and all 14 were there! I think the dog got her and dropped her or he just chased her into the woods and then he got scared away by my son. She must have been scared to death and just stayed still and quiet until this afternoon or she found her way back. Whatever happened, she is back and is safe and healthy! I went out tonight about 8:00 (the time the neighbor dog came last night) and just as I stepped off the steps there he was about 10 feet from the run!!! I chased him, my black lab chased him and my yellow lab chased him. If he comes back again tomorrow, something else may be chasing him.

Quote:
I'm so happy to hear you found her! Yippee!!!!
wee.gif
I just came inside after chasing my neighbors two dogs away; the doberman and the part-shepherd. They were just turning the corner of the house about 20 feet from the chickens. I chased them away and my cocker spaniel chased them away AND I made a telephone call to them telling them to keep their dogs under control. Not that it will do any good but I'll tell you what, if so much as ONE pin feather is harmed on my girls there will be feathers flying and it won't be from my chickens.

Quote:
Go to a forum, for instance this one is: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying. Instead of clicking on a topic, look over to the far right and you will see a blue block with blue letters that says "post new topic". Click on that and ask away!

I have great neighbors - really great. But they recently got two dogs. Last weekend, the dogs ended up on our property three times, and we took them back over each time. The neighbors called later to apologize, and all was well, but I was not kidding when I told him "not to worry, next time I will shoot them and the problem will be solved." I suspect he does not think we are quite as good a neighbor...

Oh my gosh!!! My chickens are starting to roost! Most of them are in a pile in the corner, but there are a few who are roosting. But they all want to roost in the same 12" space on the roost board. Silly chickens...

Oh and my rooster crowed a REAL crow yesterday morning. He even crowed at me when I got home from work. I love my rooster
ya.gif

I've been wondering about my 26 Buffs piling on top of each other every night, too, instead of roosting. After I give them their bedtime treat, they immediately head for the corner of the coop and start piling themselves into the corner. I did pick up several and put them on the roosts, but I'd no more than turn around and they'd just jump off! They are all quiet all piled up by the time I close the coop door. I do have a little night light on all night for them, so that they can see. My little ladies are around 10 weeks old. So, from reading these posts, it sounds like they will eventually figure things out and roost?

Back
Top Bottom