At what age do they begin to roost at night?

I got 3 gold sex link chicks last August. They were about 3 weeks old. They were roosting within a couple days of me putting a perch in with them. They were about 5 weeks old when I put the perch in with them. I now have a silver leghorn, cuckoo maran and an auraucana that are about 7 to 8 weeks old and none of them are even attempting to roost yet. I guess I just need to be more patient huh? Maybe the reason they were so quick to roost last year is it was mid August and it was hot outside. Maybe it was cooler to be off the ground. It's cooler now obviously so maybe that's why my current babies are huddled on the floor together every night. When I put the gold sex links in with the big girls last year they huddled in the corner for a couple of nights and then started to roost with the other girls. It took them two nights to figure out to put themselves to bed also which was great! I just had to go out at dusk and close the door to their hen house. I'm not sure these babies are going to get that very quickly either! LOL!

My six pullets about 8-9 weeks old, dog pile into one nesting box, ignoring the nice roosts they have, which is why I came here to check. But it sounds like they will figure it out eventually. I love them, but I do call them the "Stupids" sometimes.

I absolutely love BYC! My mother is convinced my roost and poop board are too high and that's why they aren't roosting. The roost is about 4 feet from the floor with a wide poop board shelf a few inches below it. I have eight 10 week old bantams of different breeds. They all sleep in a pile under or at the bottom of the ladder to the roost.

I even added an extra roost about 18 inches off the ground. Still they sleep in a pile. I have thought of lowering the roost and poop board but it would be a lot of work. The poop board is filled with the sweet PDZ so it's heavy. I would have to move the shelf arms I'm using to support the poop board. Plus the area under the roost is where I keep the bins of feed.

I figure before I go moving everything I'll wait to see if they start roosting on the lower one. Since they aren't roosting at all yet why change anything.

That's the roost and poop board(I have since changed the roost the the flat side of the 2x4)

Gives you an idea in the height.

Filled with the sweet PDZ

The lower roost I added.

Everything I have read says they will roost in the highest point. That's why I put my roost at the 4 foot mark. Hopefully I don't have to move everything and they will start roosting soon. Picking up chicken poop all over the coop is getting old.

take a picture of them in your yard, then you have documented proof they are in your yard. Had to do this with some pitbulls who kept getting out of their pen. Owner had them back in before animal control came out. They told me to take pictures for proof. He lost his dogs...

I'm so happy to hear you found her!  Yippee!!!!     /img/smilies/wee.gif   I just came inside after chasing my neighbors two dogs away; the doberman and the part-shepherd.  They were just turning the corner of the house about 20 feet from the chickens.  I chased them away and my cocker spaniel chased them away AND I made a telephone call to them telling them to keep their dogs under control.  Not that it will do any good but I'll tell you what, if so much as ONE pin feather is harmed on my girls there will be feathers flying and it won't be from my chickens.

I thought that's what my 8 week old girls were doing (just piling on top of each other), but when I went in this morning before work (6 am) for water and stuff, they were on the highest roost (about 4 feet) all in the same 2 foot section. I have 12 in the coop right now. About 8 of them were in the same spot.

This is what my roost looks like:

A watched pot never boils if you know what I mean lol. Yep, they will figure out the roosting concept they are like children, they all develop at different ages :lol:
If your worried about the chickens piling up in a corner due to predators, block off the corners and so they don't go into the nesting boxes block them off too. I never blocked off anything and my 8 week old RIR chicks decided the nesting box was not cutting the mustard and moved to the roost. I think it's sweet how everyone is so concerned about their girls but in the end they figure it out just like how to escape the run, who brings the treats, or the best sunbathing hole. Lol best of luck chicken lovers. ;)

My girls are 10 weeks and 13 weeks and they all still pile up in the corner. I did notice that one of the 13 week olds is now in the middle of the coop closer to the roost and not in the corner anymore. Maybe she will be the first to know what to do??

My smallest chick Prissy started roosting this week. They are 12 weeks and she is up on the roost all by herself. The other 7 are still piled up on the floor. I'm sure it won't be long before the others get the urge.

i noticed you have lights on inside your coop... do they need to have lights inside??????? also what time do you normally close them up for the night, when it is dark, before it is dark?????? this is our first time with chickens I am getting worried about this issue.....

we have 7, 6 week old chicks, they will go inside the coop at night but not go onto the roost we have for them they pile up in a corner instead.......

Back
Top Bottom