At what age do they quit growing?

Chicky85254

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
AZ & CA
At what age do they quit growing? This is my first batch of chicks, and I'm wondering how big they are going to get? I have the following bantam breeds...BR, EE, and Silkies.

Anyone???

I'm just curious if at 9 weeks if they are approaching full size, or if they are going to double in size, etc? It would help to know this as far as planning for door and roost sizes, etc.

Last edited:
I was just about to ask the same question. I can't see my gals growing since I see them every day. But my friends & neighbors still keep saying "they're so much bigger"! My gals are about 4.5 months old.

I am very glad that I started out with them as chicks, because I had never raised chickens before and I would have been scared by them if suddenly these gigantic birds showed up in my life. They are big!

At 9 weeks they'll definitely more than double. Try quadruple. My 3month old japs are still half the average size and just now starting to catch the month older ones. My EE chicks which are 3 weeks younger than the japs and were the same size as them at around 10weeks are now my biggest chickens and still growing. I'm guessing around a year old they'll be fully filled out and at their final weight.

Here are some little 8week old white japs next to buffs that are 1month older and also still not done growing:
SANY1011.jpg

Last edited:
They probably reach full size by about 6 months but will continue to fill out for maybe 6 more months.

The large fowl orpingtons can take as long as 18 months to reach their full growth.

A jersey giant is also another very slow growing chicken that doesn't reach its full potential for a good year.

Smaller chickens take less time. Your bantams will be at their full size at about 6months - plus or minus a little.

Back
Top Bottom