New Easter Egger Chicks! How do I help them grow?

Aug 25, 2023
Priceville, AL
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!
So, very exciting news! I'm finally getting chicks! Two in fact. And they're easter eggers, which is different as I only have bantams. I will have to keep them in the same coop as the silkies, but if they don't get along we'll have to figure something else out. Anyway, I am getting them on Saturday and I'd like some help regarding the questions below.

1. What do I keep them in before putting them outside?
2. Do I need a brooder? They are feathering already and I do not know the exact age.
3. Can I use the "flock" food I feed my silkies?
4. Will they mix well with the bantams?

Thank you so much!

Without knowing their age or having photos of your birds then I can’t tell if your chicks are able to be outside yet.

What is the protein content of the feed that you feed your birds?

They should be able to mix well with bantams as usually Easter Eggers are very calm. I would watch for signs of aggression or picking on your bantams when you add the new chicks in.

1. You'll need some way of separating them for integration before adding them to the flock.

2. What Rose the Legbar said. Or ask the current owner/breeder if they're off heat and acclimated to outdoor temps yet.

3. Yes.

4. Time will tell if they'll all flock together happily as adults. Early on the older birds will be dominant as it's a matter of maturity, not size, when it comes to pecking order.

The older chickens will usually attack baby chicks unless they hatched them. If they’re babies then you can’t put them in until they are more than about 8 weeks old

The older chickens will usually attack baby chicks unless they hatched them. If they’re babies then you can’t put them in until they are more than about 8 weeks old
Quite a few of us integrate by 4 weeks, but you do need to give them time to acclimate to one another first and then set up to provide safe spaces for the chicks.

Since OP doesn't know the ages of the new additions it's hard to give more tailored advice right now.

Quite a few of us integrate by 4 weeks, but you do need to give them time to acclimate to one another first and then set up to provide safe spaces for the chicks.

Since OP doesn't know the ages of the new additions it's hard to give more tailored advice right now.
5 weeks minimum I would say if there are no roosters

5 weeks minimum I would say if there are no roosters
My last batch of chicks had full daytime coop and run access at 15 days old and were integrated at 29 days old (that's when they began voluntarily roosting with adults). Integrating early takes advantage of their small size, quickness and agility, and makes them less threatening to adults (so they're less likely to go after them)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

My last batch of chicks had full daytime coop and run access at 15 days old and were integrated at 29 days old (that's when they began voluntarily roosting with adults). Integrating early takes advantage of their small size, quickness and agility, and makes them less threatening to adults (so they're less likely to go after them)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/
I know, but I think I get a little paranoid when it comes to chickens health and safety. I have nightmares every night about my 10/11 week old chickens. I mean they’re almost old enough to look after themselves and I’m still worried about them.
But it’s not up to me so I’m not gonna try to intervene with @Fluffy_Moth_With_Silkies decision

Depending on how big the pullets are and how big the bantams are, it might be harder to provide safe spaces in this case.

Little chicks can go through openings that would stop a big adult chicken, but adult bantams might be the same size as partly-grown pullets of a larger breed.

(This is just another aspect of what several people already said: none of us know enough to give really good advice, because of not knowing how old the chicks are or how many feathers they have or what physical size they are.)

Hello!
So, very exciting news! I'm finally getting chicks! Two in fact. And they're easter eggers, which is different as I only have bantams. I will have to keep them in the same coop as the silkies, but if they don't get along we'll have to figure something else out. Anyway, I am getting them on Saturday and I'd like some help regarding the questions below.

2. Do I need a brooder? They are feathering already and I do not know the exact age.
For now, can you divide the current coop with a piece of wire mesh? And maybe set up a heat lamp or brooder plate.

That would give a safe place to put the chicks when you get them, and you can remove the heat source if they are feathered enough to do without it.

Letting them see the older chickens through a divider is a good first step for any kind of integration. Once you have them home, and can see how they compare with your adult bantams in size and behavior, it will be easier to decide what to do next.

Hello!
So, very exciting news! I'm finally getting chicks! Two in fact. And they're easter eggers, which is different as I only have bantams. I will have to keep them in the same coop as the silkies, but if they don't get along we'll have to figure something else out.
Silkies don't do good in a mixed flock, but you never know if your Easter Eggers will have calm personalities-they might co-exist just fine.

I would recommend putting them somewhere inside of the house until you can move them outside, or putting them in a small cage outside, preferably by your Silkies so they can see each other.

Chicks start feathering at usually six weeks old, which is when they don't really need a brooder any more.

Sure. It is for a flock.

Only time will tell that.

Back
Top Bottom