ATTN. BREEDERS OF GAMEFOWL: Leghorn X Malay??

My two largest boys.

Goliath
20211125_085304.jpg
20211125_085318.jpg
20211125_085340.jpg
20211125_085347.jpg
20211125_085442.jpg
Splash Wheaten
20211125_084705.jpg
20211125_084715.jpg
20211125_084725.jpg
20211125_084812.jpg

This thread was resurrected in 2021, I apologize for resurrecting it again, I'm posting here for information purposes to rectify argument within.
The Kraienkoppe has Pheasant Malay, there is some excellent reading on game fowl, the Malay and the Pheasant Malay variety as well as some others and also some interesting experiments that were done with common and silver pheasant and fowl hybrids in this old book I found. This may help clear things up as to the confusion, so I hope someone finds this information useful.

Snippet from Ferguson's Illustrated series on Rare and Prize Poultry ~1854

From whence came the pheasant Malay, which we prefer designating pheasant-spangled Malay for the express purpose of indicating its non-blood relationship but mere feather resemblance to the Pheasant. We firmly believe they sprang from the black Malay and golden spangled Hamburgh, with an after admixture of light brown or chocolate Malay blood. We have ourselves procured specimens bearing much resemblance by these means, with the exception of the comb, which in each case has ultimately become larger than in any pheasant-spangled Malay we have yet seen. But the after admixture of the light brown Malay, together with the breeding in and in to which they have been subjected may have reduced it to that minimum displayed as exhibited in this breed. The pheasant-spangled Malay cock's average weight is about seven pounds. The pheasant- spangled Malay hen's average weight is about five pounds. The former is of good courage, and in the latter is displayed a consequential and at times perversive spirit.

General shape. -More after the full size Game than Malay, but bearing a resemblance to each.

Head. Their countenance invariably bears strong affinity to the Malay, and the éxpression of the eye denotes fierce cruelty.
Ear-lobes, blueish white.
Comb small, but larger than in the pure Malay, is of similar shape and inclination, but in some resembles a diminutive Hamburgh's.
Neck long, neck-hackle in both sexes black and velvetty, with greenish shadows.

In the male occasionally is exhibited a dark reddish hackle with black ink stains or tips, with a lighter tinge underneath. The usual colour of the body of the male varies from a light to a dark red, with breast and rump black or partridge brown, the former spangled with semi-oval spots. The females are far more beautiful, being of a rich pheasant colour or light red, are of good shape and make. The markings on the breast resemble the plumage of the cock pheasant, from which peculiarity arises the idea of the existence of a cross between them and that bird. Some specimens are less attractive, being of a duller hue. Tail not strongly sickled, but well defined and carried uprightly, is more abundant than in the Malay, and of a dark brown and black feather, frequently grey or grizzled in some part. In the hen they are of a similar hue, and in some specimens the two uppermost feathers indicate an inclination to curl. Legs yellow, but sometimes white and rather long. The hens prove excellent sitters and mothers, and if well feathered are very ornamental. Their eggs are well shaped and of good flavour, but rather small, averaging about two ounces in the winter season, and two and one third during the warmer months-are of smooth surface and tinged with buff or light chocolate. They are free layers, but usually commence late in the season. Flesh is white and very excellent, partaking of the flavour of the Pheasant, in connexion with the size and juiciness of the fowl, is held in much esteem as a table delicacy.

We firmly believe they sprang from the black Malay and golden spangled Hamburgh, with an after admixture of light brown or chocolate Malay blood.
Chocolate Malays? You mean Dun right? I got some from a breeder this year, one a cockerel is a Dun Partridge, & pullet a Dun Silver Laced.
Sold this dude recently. He was an extra.
20230729_114334.jpg
20230729_114346.jpg

Now to finish reading.

It's from a book from 1854, so yes I believe they are referencing chocolate brown (dun), and the dun variety was stated to be a mixture of black and white, i.e. what we now call blue. That cockerel is stunning by the way.

edit: here I found where Ferguson states the Malay color varieties (circa 1854):
1. White Malays
.2. Grey
3. Pied , including Piles and Piebald Malays.
4. Yellow Malay duckwing The nomination of " Duckwing " is erroneous, they being but a peculiar yellow, and devoid of the Duckwing
5. Chocolate , hitherto called " Dunders. " which is perfectly inapplicable, are so peculiarly uniform in their plumage that we are compelled to describe them separately, at the same time acknowledging their identity of blood with the " browns."
6. Brown-red,
7. Black-red
8. Blues or Dun Malay, and Red Dun
9. Black
10. Spangled Pheasant Malay, hitherto called " Pheasant Malay. "

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom