ATTN: Yokohama Lovers!

im on pins and needles!!!! can you tell??? lol

how much longer will the tails grow on the roo im getting?

LOL. I am not sure. That depends on how well you take care of him.. Also, he has been breeding so obviously birds who are not breeding grow longer tails than ones who's blood feathers dry up because of breeding. But again, these are yokohamas. He is from good lines that get a 3-4 ft tail. Yokohamas are not generally nonmolters.

LOL. I am not sure. That depends on how well you take care of him.. Also, he has been breeding so obviously birds who are not breeding grow longer tails than ones who's blood feathers dry up because of breeding. But again, these are yokohamas. He is from good lines that get a 3-4 ft tail. Yokohamas are not generally nonmolters.

so once they begin to breed their tails dry up?

yes, breeding can make the tails dry up.. I usually breed a rooster and condition a rooster. So like I keep two bbred phoenix roos, two silvers, two whites, etc.. one for photographing and one for breeding..

good to know! are the hens broody or will I have to incubate their clutches?

Last edited:
I think they look good and for that size, you got a deal! Thanks for sharing the photos and good luck with them. Do you think you will find some hens to go with them? If you get to select pullets or hens, pick out ones that will balance out traits from the males - thus potentially enhancing the final appearance of their offspring.

I'd love to get some hens, but to be honest, the boys have some black going through their tails, so I don't really know what the point in breeding them would be. There are many more shown here, such as yours, which are much more promising/well-bred. Maybe at some point in the future I'll be able to get some show-quality lines - it is my favorite breed, and getting some wasn't at all planned. Quite frankly, I was amazed to see any at the auction. The seller had a much more mature male with a nice long tail that went for $12, the most of any chicken that day.

Last edited:
I have always set the eggs so I don't know if they go broody. Lol
I know of one breeder in the U. S. that only uses broody Yokohama hens to propagate all of his new Yokohama stock every year.

I'd love to get some hens, but to be honest, the boys have some black going through their tails, so I don't really know what the point in breeding them would be. There are many more shown here, such as yours, which are much more promising/well-bred. Maybe at some point in the future I'll be able to get some show-quality lines - it is my favorite breed, and getting some wasn't at all planned. Quite frankly, I was amazed to see any at the auction. The seller had a much more mature male with a nice long tail that went for $12, the most of any chicken that day.
Actually a bit of black occurring in the tail of a Red Shoulder rooster is not a bad thing - gives an indication that the dark mahogany coloration is present and can be brought out in future breeding. With the Red Shoulders, you want to breed in a balanced fashion so that the males and females make up for each others shortcomings. If you breed two birds with overall good characteristics, there is a likelihood that the offspring will be over marked. So pair up dark birds with light birds and ones with good spangling with ones that have less spangling etc. That might provide for a winning breeding strategy.

Back
Top Bottom