ATTN: Yokohama Lovers!

Hehe, it is the 4th most populous city now, or something like that... I don't have chickies yet, I just have SO MANY chicken questions that I end up finding myself here more than like three times a week as a lurker.

In Japan, it is nearly impossible to have pets in apartments *shrug*

Your going to have chickens in an apartment?

AHAHAH! No. Although I have seen some people do it on their porch (called 'veranda) here..... again the animal protection laws here are non-existent. If I lived in a house, with more than concrete for a lawn (it's a thing here), and a lease that allowed pets... I'd probably abstain anyways. I am on one year contracts so my home situation is not stable enough to support animals.

My beautiful Red-Shouldered Yoko's. I love them so much
love.gif

hahah!!!
So when will you get some chickens? What breeds?

Hm, not for another 10 years or 100kUSD. That is when I will allow myself to come back to the States.

After that, I want to get a mixed flock of all good foragers but some are better meat birds some are better egg birds and two are major broodies so I don't have to incubate. I don't mind if it ends up a flock of mutts. I can always reintroduce purebreds back in. I am less interested in their breeds and more in how having chickens on my farm will allow me to be more self sufficient. Plus, I can sell surplus eggs.

I do have a weakness for colored eggs though~

Qs,Qs and more Qs.

Can someone explain the difference to me in feathers between the Yokohama and the Phoenix if any?

Is it true the Yokohama has a short life span? And if so does anyone know the cause?

How much Jungle Bird if any DNA has been studied/found in this breed?

I am confused on combs, I keep finding Single Comb birds called Yokohamas, along with peas I thought they are suppose to have some sort of walnut comb with maybe an indentation like the Minohiki? I also keep seeing birds with different leg colours...

I also found some sort of talk about leg colour and non-molting, is there a connection?

What is the longest tail ever recorded for this breed? What is the average tail length for a good example?

Special feed needs?

Breeders do you consider the female more important than the roo in passing on certain traits and if so which ones?

Thanks everyone for anything you can answer, it is just the more I try to learn about this breed the more Qs I end up with.

Last edited:
Qs,Qs and more Qs.

Can someone explain the difference to me in feathers between the Yokohama and the Phoenix if any?
Yoko's have long saddle feathers, this is a trait from their ancestor, Ohiki. Phoenix have long sickle feathers, a trait from their ancestors, Onagadori.
Please correct me.

I am confused on combs, I keep finding Single Comb birds called Yokohamas, along with peas I thought they are suppose to have some sort of walnut comb with maybe an indentation like the Minohiki? I also keep seeing birds with different leg colours...
Not sure about the US, but over here in Aus Pea combs are the only ones recognized. This is what my birds have.

What is the longest tail ever recorded for this breed? What is the average tail length for a good example?
Not sure about Yoko's. But Onagadori can have 30ft tails. But Yokos don't have Onagadori in them.

Thanks everyone for anything you can answer, it is just the more I try to learn about this breed the more Qs I end up with.

Oh wow. Ok.
Well then you have years to plan a head hahah.

That is why I am here. My hope is that, by the time I am back in the US, I'll have the chicken thing squared away so I can spend my two years interning on farms that are no electricity horse powered farms. By that point I want to focus on my horsemanship and the more practical side of owning a farm.

Back
Top Bottom