ATTN: Yokohama Lovers!

Chicken eggs take 21 days or 504 hours to fully incubate. This can possible vary up to 12 hours either direction depending upon incubation conditions. If the temperature is slightly warm the 504 hours can be reduced slightly and vice versa if the temperature is slightly cool. By slightly I am referring to less than a degree in temperature higher or lower than the set point of 99.5-99.8. Almost always when you see any eggs hatch earlier than 20.5 days (492 hours) you can suspect pre-incubation. This can occur in the form of broody hens or eggs left in the house during warmer days. Any temperature above 75 F will allow for appreciable embryo growth and as that temperature increases the rate of embryo growth is accelerated. So, in essence, eggs that hatch early were allowed to experience embryo growth prior to them being placed in the setter.

Hey guys!

I heard from at least a couple sources that Yokies are somewhat of a "weak" breed that has a poor immune system and can't take the elements. Is that true? Before trusting any "foreign" sources, I wanted to hear the correct info from the people who breed these birds
smile.png

God Bless,
~Gresh~

Okay so here's a question for all you guys! Are Yoko's Pea or Walnut? I have been reading on the internet that they are Pea but my SOP says Walnut... So what gives?

Okay so here's a question for all you guys! Are Yoko's Pea or Walnut? I have been reading on the internet that they are Pea but my SOP says Walnut... So what gives?

Both, in the states... I have seen them in both.. Walnut is prefered, but I like peacombed ones if the tails are nice.. Walnut comb is a rosecomb and peacomb mix.. So peacomb bred to walnut, makes walnut combs... Tail first, comb second.. My opinion....

Depends on what you want. As a general rule, judges will DQ birds with the wrong comb type in any breed, but will at least allow for "not the best tail" and just knock it back considerably. If they are strictly for show you need to eliminate the possible points that would cause a disqualification because after that it doesn't matter how good they are everywhere else if there is an automatic DQ point to contend with.

The American Standard calls for a walnut comb. Not preferred, required. Wrong comb for the breed is a disqualification always, not "as a general rule". It's not something judges have discretion with.

Are the yokos still beatin? Just found this thread and wanted to say hi. I have a pair of RS Yokohamas from ideal.
I would like to know more about the preservation side. I'm already working with sumatras and am going to start a breeding project with them next spring when I get some fresh eggs.
I'm also building a pen for my yokos that will be 4x8x5 would that be enough space for the pair?
When they feather out ill post pics!

Are the yokos still beatin? Just found this thread and wanted to say hi. I have a pair of RS Yokohamas from ideal.
I would like to know more about the preservation side. I'm already working with sumatras and am going to start a breeding project with them next spring when I get some fresh eggs.
I'm also building a pen for my yokos that will be 4x8x5 would that be enough space for the pair?
When they feather out ill post pics!
I'm kind of curious about the pen size as well. I have always said I'd stay away from longtail breeds because of not being sure whether or not I could keep the feathers in good condition (can get messy here when it rains; not in all areas but it does in some spots). But, the Yokohama is a breed I have always been fairly interested in. Would anyone have any tips on keeping their feathers in better condition? I typically try to keep birds on grass but once it rains it all just gets mushed down into mud (again, depending on area). I suppose I would need to add bedding (like I try to do sometimes now anyway) to help with the mud issue?

Back
Top Bottom