AudriAnna's Americauna's

Well a little bummed about getting EE's instead of Americauna's. I think it's pretty crappy that they can sell EE's and list them as Americana or even Americauna's without any consequences.
I did the best I could researching Aracauna/Americauna as well as Easter eggers. Not a snob about these being "just" EE's. I was however hoping to get pureblood chicks so that I could work with my daughter to help preserve one of these really cool breeds.
Oh well lesson learned and maybe sometime next year I can get a breeding pair to work with. My wife has no experience with Chicken math I definitely don't want to overwhelm her right off the bat. Took some work to talk her into these and I'll have to be a good boy and show her I can take care of these before I get more. LOL
Thanks for sharing your story. Mine also spans multiple decades. Starting with chickens as a child on the family farm, then hatched my own flock when I was in Jr. High, hatching 4 bantams in school incubator, which increased to a modest mixed breed flock at home. Then some RIR, CXR, BSL, Leghorns in my early adult/granola years. Then, started my most recent flock 4 years ago. I expect to be handling chickens through retirement, and beyond!

BTW, EE are awesome birds, and IMO are much better layers than Ameraucanas.

Last edited:
Update on my little girls flock. Okay it's my flock but I'm raising it in her name. so far it's looking like I've got at least 1 Wheaten colored hen, 2 Blues, and one that looks almost like a Golden Sebright. The smallest chick from last week "smokey" which is one of my blues is now bigger than the other darker colored Blue. Yet still seems to be every one of the other chicks favorite. Waiting to get a better Idea on personality before I name the rest.

Well found out the Americauna's I was wanting to buy turned out to be glorified Easter Egger chickens. THANK YOU SO MUCH HOOVER HATCHERY. Won't be buying from you on or off line any more. Still happy with the ones I have and to gi ve Hoover props they did send 11 instead of the 10 I ordered. 3 died within 3 days but rest are doing awesome at the 3 mont mark. I did buy 6 Australorps to add to my flock. I think the more settled gentle nature plus the much higher egg production will help out my flock and the ggs We plan on selling or hatching. I do plan on adding Americauna's the REAL kind as a separate tiny flock to breed but I'm happy with the flock right now and especially at how calm these little Australorps are. I have nicknamed the entire batch The Littles since they're 3 weeks behind my EE's.
Super excited that one of my 3 week old EE's decided to try and warm them out as well as wallowing out a nest.

Wow! Our little flock is really growing. AudriAnna is going to have fun with these EE's once they and she get's bigger. I'm so looking forward to both growing up. Especially seeing the flock through my daughters eye's. The EE's are a bit skittish when all together but calm down one on one. the Littles as I call the Week old Australorps are much calmer but follow their older brood mates around. No guesses on what I have as far as the AO's go since they're really alike. With the EE's I've been pretty sure I have at least 3 Roosters in the mix. Although which one is a rooster and which isn't has varied except for Goldy. Since I'm pretty sure that one is a Male changing name to Heinlein.
Almost called the little Australorps Weebles since they do tend to get bowled over when the bigger ones decide to run around the brood bin.

Goldy now named Heinlein after my favorite Author.

Poor Smokey seems to always look more frazzled than the rest.

Drama, Heinlein's much less colorful but REALLY Loudmouthed sibling. Peeps like it's being slowly murdered whenever picked up.

What up Peep's?

We're the Littles.

Ruling the roost in cute.

I got my first chickens last year from a feed store in Houston.Had never had chickens (city girl).Now living near Galveston where I can have a small flock.Just by pure luck/accident I got 2 Dominques from the store -they were 3 days old.One year later they have grown into the sweetest hens,quiet and love to cuddle.They lay a very pretty light creamy brown egg almost every day.They get along very well with their sister Easter Egger and Rhode Island Red.I totally agree with Lazy Gardener in recommending Dominques for your flock.

I got my first chickens last year from a feed store in Houston.Had never had chickens (city girl).Now living near Galveston where I can have a small flock.Just by pure luck/accident I got 2 Dominques from the store -they were 3 days old.One year later they have grown into the sweetest hens,quiet and love to cuddle.They lay a very pretty light creamy brown egg almost every day.They get along very well with their sister Easter Egger and Rhode Island Red.I totally agree with Lazy Gardener in recommending Dominques for your flock.

My admittedly limited experience with those are of 2 Dominque rooster that were very aggressive. True any chicken can be aggressive it's just the 2 I met personally make me very leery of having them around when my daughter finally starts walking around exploring.

Back
Top Bottom