August 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I wanted to add this post for information and comments to all those new broody chicken mommies.

I had been trying for 2 years to get one of my chickens to go broody and my Austrolorp finally did in July. BUT there was one problem. It was July in Texas. She was sitting on about 18 eggs that several of my chickens had added to the pile. I started dating them 7/11, 7/12. several over a 3 day period (unsure of dates) and the last dated 7/18. 7/18 was when she finally started sitting. This put day 21 on 8/8/16. So I waited. 18 eggs is a lot so at day 7 I candled them. I left her with 10 fertile eggs. I did not remove any fertile ones, there were only 10 good ones. The temperatures outside were 99/100+ everyday during this process. Sometimes the hen would push some of the eggs in front of her.

First pip 8/18 (early), ants got to chick so I had to bust it out of the shell quickly. Chick ended up surviving and doing well. I moved mom and eggs to a pet carrier and gave the coop a good cleaning. I added some DE to the shavings. I placed mom and carrier back in the same nest location and all seemed fine. I left chick 1 in garage. Day 19 (early) 3 more chicks hatch on their own. At night I add chick 1 under mom and everyone is happy. One has pipped. Day 20 egg goes missing and 2 more hatch but they seem to struggle with the membrane. Shell was off but tangled in membrane. The one that pipped on day 19 has made no progress. Day 21 found missing egg, Hatched but was tangled in a mess of shell and membrane buried under the shavings. Day 19 chick that pipped has still made no progress so at night I help it out. It rebounded pretty quick and by morning was ready to be with mom.

So total we had 7 hatch and 3 not make it.

This brings me to the part some of you may be interested in. It was so hot the entire time. 100 degree days. Did this have an effect on the incubation period of the chick?. I was monitoring the progress every closely since I had been trying for this for 2 years so I know my dates are good. Did the heat have an effect on the humidity and therefore moisture of the membranes? This may be why I lost the ones I did.

I welcome hearing about any similar situations. I found nothing online about broody hens in 100 degree heat and the effects on the chicks.

I just set 42 Coturnix quail eggs from my own breeders tonight, (mixed A&M and Pharaoh muts so hoping for tuxedos.)

This will be my 1st time hatching, the whole family is eggsighted.

For one thing that is very hot. Especially in an aquarium. Humidity doesn't need to be added to the brooder. They may have defects or something may be up with your setup.

What are the symptoms? Just gasping? Are they able to walk?
They had been fine except the one had splayed legs and a curled foot, which I took care of and she then started to stand straight up and perky. I was cooking dinner and kept checking on them. The one would be standing straight, the other would be bopping around and both chirping, Then 5 minutes later the one that could just stand straight was on her back gasping. I took her out, the other was fine, and rubbed and rubbed the one that wasn't doing well until she passed (I don't even know if rubbing was right, I just know that's what you do with our pups, but I didn't rub as vigorously as you would pups). Once she passed over, I walked into the other room, and the other was laying on her side gasping, I was just shocked things changed so fast, and I took her and rubbed and rubbed....kissed and kissed and rubbed, but she didn't make it either.

I've got 2 more waiting to hatch. So hopefully I will have 2 healthy silkies when I wake up, and I've got the brooder taken care of after they've hatched.

Fosseyhager I have hatched eggs in July and August in Louisiana so yes 100 degree weather. I read the mother hen can cool the eggs if they get to hot. The only problem I have ever had is early chicks and sticking to eggs. I just help them out and they do fine.

After setting the 42 mixed pharaoh and a&m eggs last night I found a breeder 5 minutes from me that I'm getting a 1/2 dozen each of silver, cinnamon queen, Italian speckled and Tibetan to add to the bator this morning.

After setting the 42 mixed pharaoh and a&m eggs last night I found a breeder 5 minutes from me that I'm getting a 1/2 dozen each of silver, cinnamon queen, Italian speckled and Tibetan to add to the bator this morning.

I have always found it interesting that people keep quail. Are they pets or do you release them for hunting, or what? They seem so boring to me! lol

Update: The eye on the one keet has receded to near normal size, though it is still hazy. I suspect it has glaucoma, so of course I will be keeping him or her. It is also now showing signs of splayed leg. What a mess. I don't name my guineas but I think this one will get a name lol

I just went through the keets and it looks like I have six colors. I am SO TEMPTED to keep them all. I am trying to figure out how to make that work. If I suggest another coop I will end up in divorce court.

Last edited:
I have always found it interesting that people keep quail. Are they pets or do you release them for hunting, or what? They seem so boring to me! lol
They are for meat and eggs. They start laying at 6 weeks and are fully grown by 9 weeks. Meat birds can be culled between 7-9 weeks.

Cost? An $18 (50#) bag of feed lasted 17 birds two months. $1 per finished bird.

Quote:
Well, dang! that makes sense! What is the egg conversion to a standard chicken egg? 3 to 1?
Eggs are 11 to 14 grams. 4 to 5 to match an extra large chicken egg from the store. I find a dozen eggs makes a nice breakfast. Scrambled, you can't tell the difference between a chicken and there's nothing like over medium with 12 tiny yolks instead of a couple big ones.

Back
Top Bottom