Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Odd you say that. The friend I got the new rooster from asked me to look at her Pekins. She has 3 stunning blue Pekins that are just under 18 months old. 2 hens and a roo from show quality lines She bought them 6 months ago and they haven't laid a single egg,.They look as healthy as not moulting or anything like that so I wasn't sure why. She thought maybe they were a bit fat.

Over weight birds generally go off the lay also. Most illnesses will also lead to a cease in production. Even if the bird has recovered from a previous illness and for all the world appears healthy.

My new Belgian roo who is suitably unimpressed with quarantine. In my defence I did give my black mottled roo to my neighbour so even though he is a new roo my numbers are the same. :D

Last edited:
I may have to consider getting some scales and attempting to weigh LuLu; I confess to never having weighed one of my chickens. Pick one up “hhhm, she feels a bit light” (post broody) or “hhhhm, chunky little girl”
wink.png

Research indicates LuLu should weigh approximately .6kg (that does not sound like very much?) … will be interesting to see how much she does weigh.

Tee hee satay … your defense sounds solid, I’d stick with that
wink.png

Handsome fella!

It's a beautiful day outside so the chicks and mumma cho have taken it in turn out on the grass.

The brooder chicks went out first. Every day I look at those combs and think oh god I've got all roosters. The red ones are lohmanns so by rights they should be hens. Opinions? I'll ask in the gender thread when they get bigger.

This is the white chick which should be a rooster

Aaaw ChristieB, they are adorable!

OK, I think I might have a problem ... LuLu weighs 1.3kg! All my research indicates that Pekin hens should weigh approximately 600-700gms.

Does the 600-700gms sound right to you guys n' gals? Is 1.3kg definitely too much for a bantam? If it sounds like she is overweight I am going to have to try and get some weight off her before the heat of summer hits along with rethinking their diet. However, no-one else in the flock appears to be overweight but seen as it was my lunch 30 minutes, I did not have time to weigh them all. However, as I mentioned, LuLu has always been solid and heavy and is not particularly greedy.

If she is carrying excess weight, could this actually be a side effect of something else going on and the reason she is not laying?

Aaaw ChristieB, they are adorable!

OK, I think I might have a problem ... LuLu weighs 1.3kg!  All my research indicates that Pekin hens should weigh approximately 600-700gms.  

Does the 600-700gms sound right to you guys n' gals?  Is 1.3kg definitely too much for a bantam? If it sounds like she is overweight I am going to have to try and get some weight off her before the heat of summer hits along with rethinking their diet.  However, no-one else in the flock appears to be overweight but seen as it was my lunch 30 minutes, I did not have time to weigh them all.  However, as I mentioned, LuLu has always been solid and heavy and is not particularly greedy.

If she is carrying excess weight, could this actually be a side effect of something else going on and the reason she is not laying?

I'm not sure about side effects or if weight effects laying but I do have some bantams that are more solid and heavier than others, I just thought it was normal for them to be a little different but I'd like to know also if anyone has any knowledge about this because if it's bad I might have to start weighing mine too

Hey V1cky further research indicates that some Bantam Breeds of hens can weigh 1.3kg so she may be OK and I was only told she was a Pekin Frizzle, with the Frizzle feathers it is hard to tell if she is Pekin or she could be a mix.

I am interested to know what others think and if they have some weight ranges for bantams.

Back
Top Bottom