Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey LuckysMum sorry, I have no experience with assisted hatches but yep, I believe there is lots of helpful information in BYC ... just wanted to wish you and the little one all the best and I hope you are able to help it
fl.gif

I have read assisted hatching and I'm going to try and help according to the advise in that thread. 

That's the best place to get help. Sometimes knowing when to intervene is the tricky part. I pop mine in an egg cup if they haven't absorbed all of the yolk. Most importantly , don't pull the shell away from the abdomen , just let the chick kick it away, that is if you decide to break away some of the shell. :) @Sally Sunshine is the best person to PM.

URGENT Please
Good morning. I have a dilemma all my eggs are pippin now, but the one that started last night on the wrong end is still chirping but it hasn't managed to chip away any more of the egg.
It's a long egg and so I think I probably should have tilted on something to make sure it chick positioned properly but I though because the air cell was in the right place it would be fine.
Anyway my dilemma is should I help it out now its been like this for about 13 hours. its poking its beak through the hole and cheaping, but I'm wondering if it too big to move around and get the rest of the shell open. I know they push with  their feet and they need to do this to give them muscle tone. But should I just break some more of the shell to help it.

Thanks if you can help

Sorry I'm a bit late replying, but if the beak is out they are okay like that for up to 2 days. Some of mine take that long to start opening up. If you are assisting , just remember be slow and gentle

Sorry I'm a bit late replying, but if the beak is out they are okay like that for up to 2 days. Some of mine take that long to start opening up. If you are assisting , just remember be slow and gentle
Thanks I pulled a tiny bit of shell away so I could see the beak properly and to make sure the chick could breathe. Since then I've left it alone. I checked a little while ago with a light and my reading glasses, there looks like a little bit of blood on the membrane though its not bleeding. So now I know it can wait 2 days I will leave it be until the others hatch. I was only worried the shell might dry out and the chick will stick to the shell but I have water in the bottom of the incubator so its got plenty of humidity.
Thanks for your advise.

Thanks I pulled a tiny bit of shell away so I could see the beak properly and to make sure the chick could breathe. Since then I've left it alone. I checked a little while ago with a light and my reading glasses, there looks like a little bit of blood on the membrane though its not bleeding. So now I know it can wait 2 days I will leave it be until the others hatch. I was only worried the shell might dry out and the chick will stick to the shell but I have water in the bottom of the incubator so its got plenty of humidity. 
Thanks for your advise.

I've had them pip and not hatch for 24 hrs. Shrink wrapping is still a real danger, but it's important that the chick absorbs all of the sac attached to the umbilical.
If you feel that the humidity isn't adequate you can wrap the majority of the egg in wet paper towel, but remember that every time you open the incubator you risk the other chicks , as a result of the temp and humidity fluctuations. As I said ' knowing when and if to intervene is often the tricky bit ' . :)

I've had them pip and not hatch for 24 hrs. Shrink wrapping is still a real danger, but it's important that the chick absorbs all of the sac attached to the umbilical.
If you feel that the humidity isn't adequate you can wrap the majority of the egg in wet paper towel, but remember that every time you open the incubator you risk the other chicks , as a result of the temp and humidity fluctuations. As I said ' knowing when and if to intervene is often the tricky bit ' .
smile.png
Opening the incubator is what is worrying me I have 5 other eggs and 3 or 4 a pipping so I thought I'd better leave it alone, especially as sjturner said it could go 2 days like that. I can see its beak and its chirping. Thanks
smile.png

Opening the incubator is what is worrying me I have 5 other eggs and 3 or 4 a pipping so I thought I'd better leave it alone, especially as sjturner said it could go 2 days like that. I can see its beak and its chirping. Thanks :)

Yep, your doing all that you can for now, it's a worrying time and sometimes ' sitting on your hands ' is all you can do to stop yourself opening up that lid.
Once the bird has pipped externally it is at least breathing and it can go 48 hours without food and water. Hang in there. :)

Back
Top Bottom