Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Satay, what happened? I must have missed the post. I'm so sorry :( *hugs*
I hope my comment about budgies wasn't poorly timed..

No course not Pinky. I found her dead on the aviary floor this morning., I think I have found the thing that she died of . I found an egg at the back of the aviary that was twice the size she would normally lay but squishy. I think she must have had a problem laying it.

Last edited:
Just went to feed all the animals and when I got to the budgie aviary I saw that my beautiful Pearly was dead on the floor. There appear to be no marks on her but when I checked the nest box she was in I noticed there was an egg missing. Not sure if that has anything to do with why she died. As far as I can see nothing can get into the aviary as is made of the tiny little square wire and iron. RIP my Pearly
sad.png
Thanks. It is very sad watching her mate go in and out the nest box looking for her today. I may have to find him a new girl eventually.
No course not Pinky. I found her dead on the aviary floor this morning., I think I have found the thing that she died of . I found an egg at the back of the aviary that was twice the size she would normally lay but squishy. I think she must have had a problem laying it.
hugs.gif
I am so sorry and sad to hear this Satay.
Your poor male budgie as well. Some birds have such a tight connection with their partners.
R.I.P Pearly.

What now with the eggs? and Pearly's chick?

Quote:
I have a light sussex, barred rock and blue laced wyandotte, all bantams. I had 4 to start but I lost my own gold laced wyandotte a couple of weeks ago.

I don't blame you for travelling far and wide to collect such lovely girls. I don't drive so I am severely limited in my options when chasing up chooks.

I have a light sussex, barred rock and blue laced wyandotte, all bantams. I had 4 to start but I lost my own gold laced wyandotte a couple of weeks ago.

I don't blame you for travelling far and wide to collect such lovely girls. I don't drive so I am severely limited in my options when chasing up chooks.

Your gold lace look amazing! Her lace is so defined, such a shame that you lost her :(
The photo of your girls dirt bathing in the backyard is so adorable. Will you be replacing her with another gold lace Wyandotte?

I
Just went to feed all the animals and when I got to the budgie aviary I saw that my beautiful Pearly was dead on the floor. There appear to be no marks on her but when I checked the nest box she was in I noticed there was an egg missing. Not sure if that has anything to do with why she died. As far as I can see nothing can get into the aviary as is made of the tiny little square wire and iron. RIP my Pearly :([/quote

I'm sorry to hear that Satay. Sounds as if she was egg bound and finally did lay it :(

Last edited:
Your gold lace look amazing! Her lace is so defined, such a shame that you lost her
sad.png

The photo of your girls dirt bathing in the backyard is so adorable. Will you be replacing her with another gold lace Wyandotte?

It is SO tempting to get another Wyandotte, because she was such a darling - depending on what is available next time I am in purchasing mode it is a possibility, though I may go for a pencilled instead.

However, I am pretty limited in how many I can have before my husband mutinees and I also want an australorp or two, maybe a RIR , I am seriously tempted by Begian Duccles and if I get the chance at a bantam blue egg layer I will seize it!

Also I would kill for a Sebright. Seriously, name who you want dead.

So many desirable chickens and they add up to completely mad chicken lady very quickly.... all this week I have been browsing country properties and fantasising about all the chickens I could have if I won the lottery.

As a side note - our gold laced ended up giving us a little parting gift from beyond the grave.

We had four tiny dark cream coloured eggs when she died, that we thought were from the blue laced Wyandotte.

When Dartlin died we stopped getting eggs for a couple of days, then they started again and were a completely different size shape and colour (much much larger, pointy brown and speckled) and have been consistent since. So it looks like our little Dartlin had started laying just before we lost her, and Asura just after. No one else is laying at the moment.

We're thrilled to have a couple of her eggs and will blow the first one and keep it to remember her by.

Back
Top Bottom