Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi Colourful,
Shame about the DIS but congrats on the new babies.
When they die that close to hatching it is generally caused from humidity problems or lack of nutrition in the breeding birds. May I ask what temp and humidity did you set the bator to?
My temp was 36.5 and my humidity was 60%. I keep my eggs mixed around for this exact reason, none of the same size clumped together so the air flow is fairly even.

My little turkey and the buff are doing well.

I got another 3 turkey hens today and a dozen Maran eggs that are a mix between 4 and 5 on the egg colour chart (pop it into google if you haven't seen it). I now have 4 bronze hens, a buff hen, a Sweetgrass hen (who is absolutely gorgeous, seriously, pop sweetgrass turkey into google image) with my Bronze turkey Gobbler. Both bronze hens were sitting on eggs (which have now gone into an incubator but not mine) so definitely girls, lol. The guy I bought them from has a HUGE farm and over 400 birds from Java green Peafowl, white peafowl to Guinea fowl, lots of chicken breeds and 1/2 dozen turkey breeds including so Gorgeous huge Royal Palm turkeys that won at the Sydney Royal show (as did a few of his others including the Sweetgrass turkey hen I bought which he sold to me because he can't find a Sweetgrass Gobbler and he doesn't want cross-breds).

I have my new turkey hens in quarantine. When I went to put my original turkeys away, I only found 1 in their coop. I freaked for a moment before finding an extra hen on a nest with another bronze hen of mine and my dear bronze gobbler was roosting on the new hens quarantine aviary...

I've recently been handed the entire series of Cesar Milan (Dog whisperer). It's brilliant.

Hello from Tasmania
smile.png

I have silkie cross and pekin ducks.

Welcome Lou
big_smile.png

I have a couple of Silkie cross Pekin and they are the cutest chickens. Feel free to pop up some pics of yours, lol.

Colourful,
Your incubation temp and humidity seems to be okay. It must be the eggs.
I set my temp to 37.2 and 45% humidity for the first 18 days. I then set humidity to 55% from day 18 onwards.
Did you set your humidity at 60% for the entire incubation period or just the last few days. If it was set at 60% humidity the whole way through the eggs would not have been able to lose enough weight.

Colourful,
Your incubation temp and humidity seems to be okay. It must be the eggs.
I set my temp to 37.2 and 45% humidity for the first 18 days. I then set humidity to 55% from day 18 onwards.
Did you set your humidity at 60% for the entire incubation period or just the last few days. If it was set at 60% humidity the whole way through the eggs would not have been able to lose enough weight.

I have different incubators for incubating and hatching (but I use the same thermometers and hydrometers to make sure it's even) but The humidity commonly got up to about 50% even though I was trying to keep it at about 40%. I thought that that might let the chicks grow a bit bigger, but I figured it wasn't the problem since the buff all hatched well.

Back
Top Bottom