Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Welcome, Freeranging. What breeds of chickens do you keep?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

We have predominantly Australorp's and a Barnevelder now, as we're renewing our tired old flock. Sadly we only have one Barnie left of the only 4 I could find in WA when I discovered the breed earlier this year.
I'm on the lookout for more of each, because I've fallen in love with these girls and want to start proper breeding lines with these breeds.
It's time to get serious about my chookies
lol.png

I just recently gave a few of my old x breed laying hens to a friend, and from the old flock have kept a couple younger x breeds that still lay heaps and a very broody Wyandotte that I just love to death. I don't care if she's not much of an egg producer anymore, because she pays her way as a great mum and is oh so pretty.

I've been reading and re-reading forums and websites, printed out info to take to bed to read and am now dreaming about poultry genetics and fertile eggs each night. That's not even a joke, EVERY night bar one the last few weeks. I've just about dreamt a whole incubation period!
jumpy.gif

Hi peeps. I joined BYC a week or so ago, so I thought I'd come say hi and introduce myself over here. My name is Bec, I live in southern Tasmania (just South of Huonville). My partner and I have 2 kids aged 7&9, as well as 5 hens and 7 chicks.

The poultry arrived nearly two weeks ago. We're already absolutely smitten with them. The hens (Chickpea, Julia, Priscilla, Erma, and as-yet-unnamed Mama Hen) are all barnyard mixes, except for Chickpea who is a Bantam Cochin. She's the sweetest to humans, but kind of a troll to the other hens. The chicks could literally be anything.

So, today I thought I was going to be completely unproductive. But I've had a bee in my bonnet about expanding the roost with an external nest box with internal and external entry. Anyway, today, and I don't know how, I managed to convince Dave to help me do it! It's awesome. Room for four nest boxes, loads more roost space and space for a brooding area. Don't tell Dave, but it also increases my bird-carrying capacity by about 6-8. I want some Brahmas and D'Uccles ;)

Freerange Hen, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the dreams. I can't think about anything but chickens at the moment! Very thankful for this forum, because although the rest of my family likes the chooks, they haven't got the bug like I do!

Bec
ura9upad.jpg

HI Sara3chooks

You can become a gold feather member of byc for a certain cost. It gives you more access to things and you can turn off adds etc. I got mine as a thank you for being a 5 year member. Do a search in the main forums for gold feather membership and i am sure it will explain it better.

Last edited:
Hi peeps. I joined BYC a week or so ago, so I thought I'd come say hi and introduce myself over here. My name is Bec, I live in southern Tasmania (just South of Huonville). My partner and I have 2 kids aged 7&9, as well as 5 hens and 7 chicks.

The poultry arrived nearly two weeks ago. We're already absolutely smitten with them. The hens (Chickpea, Julia, Priscilla, Erma, and as-yet-unnamed Mama Hen) are all barnyard mixes, except for Chickpea who is a Bantam Cochin. She's the sweetest to humans, but kind of a troll to the other hens. The chicks could literally be anything.

So, today I thought I was going to be completely unproductive. But I've had a bee in my bonnet about expanding the roost with an external nest box with internal and external entry. Anyway, today, and I don't know how, I managed to convince Dave to help me do it! It's awesome. Room for four nest boxes, loads more roost space and space for a brooding area. Don't tell Dave, but it also increases my bird-carrying capacity by about 6-8. I want some Brahmas and D'Uccles ;)

Freerange Hen, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the dreams. I can't think about anything but chickens at the moment! Very thankful for this forum, because although the rest of my family likes the chooks, they haven't got the bug like I do!

Bec
ura9upad.jpg

Welcome dotski :)

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

We have predominantly Australorp's and a Barnevelder now, as we're renewing our tired old flock. Sadly we only have one Barnie left of the only 4 I could find in WA when I discovered the breed earlier this year.
I'm on the lookout for more of each, because I've fallen in love with these girls and want to start proper breeding lines with these breeds.
It's time to get serious about my chookies
lol.png

I just recently gave a few of my old x breed laying hens to a friend, and from the old flock have kept a couple younger x breeds that still lay heaps and a very broody Wyandotte that I just love to death. I don't care if she's not much of an egg producer anymore, because she pays her way as a great mum and is oh so pretty.

I've been reading and re-reading forums and websites, printed out info to take to bed to read and am now dreaming about poultry genetics and fertile eggs each night. That's not even a joke, EVERY night bar one the last few weeks. I've just about dreamt a whole incubation period!
jumpy.gif
We got our Barnies as eggs from Katt in Oakford (she has adds on gumtree) Pretty sure she sells chicks too if you don't want to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom