Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey everyone. My girls have been on antibiotics for a few days now for a 'cold'. They are looking and acting much better. I'm wondering whether it will ever be safe for me to introduce another chook to my flock? I don't know what their illness was and I realize without blood testing I never will. I really wanted to get a Plymouth Rock
1f614.png

If you do so , you need to be aware that you will be subjecting it to what ever your existing flock has.
Chooks don't get colds, they suffer upper respiratory symptoms for any number of reasons. If you don't practice " bio security " then it was probably introduced to your flock, by a new addition in the past. It's a personal choice, but if you aren't going to have them tested , to protect other peoples birds you should have a closed flock. That means once a bird enters your property, it should never leave. Sorry , it's a bumma.
1f637.png

If you do so , you need to be aware that you will be subjecting it to what ever your existing flock has.
Chooks don't get colds, they suffer upper respiratory symptoms for any number of reasons. If you don't practice " bio security " then it was probably introduced to your flock, by a new addition in the past. It's a personal choice, but if you aren't going to have them tested , to protect other peoples birds you should have a closed flock. That means once a bird enters your property, it should never leave. Sorry , it's a bumma.
1f637.png

I didn't have an existing flock until a week ago. I'm a first time chicken owner and purchased my three girls from the one person. They started showing symptoms of illness almost immediately. The girls I have here will never leave my property. My plan was to add one or two more chooks eventually but as you said, they would possibly become sick from my girls. What is your opinion on adding to my flock knowing that the new bird 'could' get the illness and treating her should it happen. I'm really in two minds. Would that be cruel?

If it were me i would have taken one of the sick chooks ot the vet so you could see exactly what you are dealing with before deciding. They can do blood tests but that costs so may not be viable. If you do introduce new hens once yours are better i would keep them separate for at least a month to make sure neither shows signs of any illness. If they all seem well should be fine to put them together if they are only ever going to live with you.

I didn't have an existing flock until a week ago. I'm a first time chicken owner and purchased my three girls from the one person. They started showing symptoms of illness almost immediately. The girls I have here will never leave my property. My plan was to add one or two more chooks eventually but as you said, they would possibly become sick from my girls. What is your opinion on adding to my flock knowing that the new bird 'could' get the illness and treating her should it happen. I'm really in two minds. Would that be cruel?

Oh I'm sorry Beth, they are probably still reacting to being relocated. I'd personally let them settle in before changing anything else. If you have them on antibiotic s , be sure to ditch the eggs.

Oh goodness it's EXACTLY what happened to me Bethany! I treated mine with antibiotics and in a day it was gone BUT now my vet thinks it was just stress and the introduction of so much new foods as all of em had only ever had pellets, i was giving them almost every type of vege chickens can have plus bread and mealworms then as much grass as they wanted.. He says I over spoiled them
roll.png
as well as there was a lot of change going on in the flock and building of their coop.. All are beyond well now and since i want to hatch eggs I got my vet to do bloods it came back clear but to be super sure I'm paying more and got another vet to come for a second opinion, these samples were sent to Brisbane to get tested! Results are due in tomorrow or Wednesday I'm so so nervous!

Bottom line.. Watch them give them time but as mine weren't gasping for air it apparently isn't a full blown disease and they are clear of "forever" illness.

Best of luck! I really feel for you! I got a Plymouth not knowing the sickness thing and she never got sick she was one of the ones that was ok i'd say because she's a big healthy chook. If you need any info or advise don't hesitate to ask
hugs.gif

Thanks guys. I did have them at the vets on Friday. He didn't really say much. Prescribed them antibiotics and that's about it. I wish I knew what I'm dealing with. The lady I purchased them from was no help..

I just saw your reply SydneyChickens. Thanks for that, it gives me hope! I have been spoiling my girls rotten. I hope it's just due to stress and new foods rather than an incurable disease!

I just saw your reply SydneyChickens. Thanks for that, it gives me hope! I have been spoiling my girls rotten. I hope it's just due to stress and new foods rather than an incurable disease!

Stay hopeful and not long ago i private messaged you the invaluable info fancychooklady sent me that saved my birds almost overnight! it's crazy!

Back
Top Bottom