Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I was given a ringneck a few years back by a neighbour. I wanted a yellow one to go with my others. I was all out of names this day and hubby suggested I call her freebie. I said no I am not calling my bird freebie. So in the end I went with phoebe lol.
Hubby named our dogs though Zeus and Thor(thor was joint effort) so he can come up with reasonable names most of the time .

Last edited:
My rooster in my avatar' s is Zeus.:highfive:
Look what was floating past the house on a bit of driftwood .

Not a very good pic , but I didn't want to disturb the little guys.

My hens finished their course of antibiotics today. Out of the three of them one never had symptoms of illness, one was sick but seems as good as new now and the other still seems slow and has bubbly eyes. She also has blocked nostrils (the vet cleared them originally but now they have blocked up again). She HATES being handled. I tried wiping her eyes and nostrils with warm saline and gauze. The nostrils are still blocked with hard stuff... What to do? I was considering gently scratching it with a blunted toothpick but worry I will hurt her! I'm not sure how the vet managed to clear them as he took her out the back.

I would only be guessing gold coaster but my guess would be a game fowl or mix of one. Looks similar to my one and only malay game. It looks a hen to me but that could all depend on the age too. IF you get it and you can't keep it you can always pass it off to rexy she's on the coast (just jokin rexy).Thankfully I don't live on the gold coast cause I would buy it for sure :)

Thanks Satay, would go beautifully with my Marans. Lucky I am up at Caboolture at the moment. :D

Finally someone has taken pitty on me lol. By some miracle my eggs that were posted late last night have just been delivered to hubby in the city Yah...now at least they can go in the bator tonight if they made it ok. Must have been all your good wishes Sandee :)

Satay, shouldn't you leave them for 24 hours before incubating them? Or if you have to put them in, dont turn them for a day or two, to let the air sac settle.

Glad they arrived in time for you. :weee

Last edited:
Satay, you can put vinegar in the humidity water right? Could help. So sorry to hear About all your bad luck :( I wish I had some pekins to send you.

It's quite dreary here at the moment. I've left everybody in the coop until the rain stops and it's been stopping just long enough for me to go outside then buckets again.

I'm About to set the last of my late rooster giraffe's babies. Will be interesting to see how many are fertile, especially of the Araucana's as she had only just started laying when we lost him. I dunno how they'll go because he was so big and the eggs are really little but I'm hoping for one little baby ara x rock.

Ash, how are the eggs I gave you going?

I could still use some help deciding on my future flock if you guys don't mind. I can only have five but I think I'm going to sneak a sixth at least. What would y'all pick out of these?

Rooster: Plymouth rock white, barred rock (sons of giraffe), black copper marans, or maybe like a Yokohama or something.

Hens (five): Plymouth rock and Araucana are already here and staying but must choose between: marans (up to three), Yokohama, white Plymouth rock, and houdan for the other three.

I'm feeling better About the idea of keeping the marans roo but aesthetically, I'm just not a big fan although everyone I know loves them.

Hi Pinky. I am not a very good person to advise cos i am hooked on Marans. But what breed do you like most? You want to be able to get some little purebreds of whatever breed you most like. And is it the varied egg basket that you like? or the chickens themselves?

Satay, shouldn't you leave them for 24 hours before incubating them? Or if you have to put them in, dont turn them for a day or two, to let the air sac settle.

Glad they arrived in time for you. :weee

They will be 12 hours sitting at hubbys work before they come home and I will put them in just before bed. That's what I usually do and I have had a few 12/12 posted eggs so cant be too bad. my 12/12 hatch from my marans I think hubby came home early and we had to go out for the night so I put them in straight from the car.. I know they normally say 24 to 48hours but I just go with my gutt. I normally candle them before I set them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom