Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

My 21 little Show Quality Araucanas hatched on 10/10. Starting to show a nice range of colours. This chook business is getting a little scary - I just did a quick census. I have - 33 Araucanas 21 Barred Rocks 11 Light Sussex 3 Speckled Sussex 9 Bantam White Leghorn 5 Hamburgs 5 Pekins 3 Isa Browns 2 Frizzles 1 White Leghorn X Ara 1 Indian Game X Ara 1 Isa X Ara. A total of 95, with 45 Barred Rcks and Silver Laced Wyandottes hatching today and tomorrow! A big clearing sale coming up soon I think! xxxx M
Wowee that's an impressive flock you have there! Myself and my 3 hens are envious haha

HI, just a quick update. last night my rooster developed pussy eyes and his wheezing got worse. I crossed my fingers and hoped he'd survive the night. He suprized me and was still kicking this morning so I took him to my local vet and she gave me some antibiotics for him :)
The crackling in his chest was not as evident but he had a high temp so he's on quarintine and rest and antibiotics for a week.
Looking forward to seeing him well and back in with his hatch-mates.

Thankyou to everyone for the advice. You have probably saved my little roo!

HI, just a quick update. last night my rooster developed pussy eyes and his wheezing got worse. I crossed my fingers and hoped he'd survive the night. He suprized me and was still kicking this morning so I took him to my local vet and she gave me some antibiotics for him :)
The crackling in his chest was not as evident but he had a high temp so he's on quarintine and rest and antibiotics for a week.
Looking forward to seeing him well and back in with his hatch-mates.

Thankyou to everyone for the advice. You have probably saved my little roo!

That's great news.:weee

Dam sinus infection has got me back in bed again. The GP yesterday told me to do a nasal flush 4 to 5 times a day. I never did one those before and when I tried it last night in the shower, it was like rubbing salt into a wound, and now today I feel worse not better. I think its all the smoke haze in the air from the bush fires that is making worse as well.
I hate being sick and stuck in bed. Have all my animals outside missing me a lot. I went outside and got trampled by the chooks, as they were so excited to see me. Couldn't stay out long though. I also checked on the quail eggs that are due to hatch soon and mummy is still sitting tight on them. I went to check on my guinea pigs that also free range during the day, but could only find two. I am a little worried that our oldest girl Muffin might have died under our deck that we made out of sleepers. I can't get under there to have a look its too low down to the ground and if I get down on the ground I don't think I will be able to get back up again. Will get my daughter to check when she gets home from school, maybe when it starts to get dark, that is when they go back to their piggy bus for bed.
All I can do is drink tea and keep inside away from the smoke.
This really sucks.

Dam sinus infection has got me back in bed again. The GP yesterday told me to do a nasal flush 4 to 5 times a day. I never did one those before and when I tried it last night in the shower, it was like rubbing salt into a wound, and now today I feel worse not better. I think its all the smoke haze in the air from the bush fires that is making worse as well.
I hate being sick and stuck in bed. Have all my animals outside missing me a lot. I went outside and got trampled by the chooks, as they were so excited to see me. Couldn't stay out long though. I also checked on the quail eggs that are due to hatch soon and mummy is still sitting tight on them. I went to check on my guinea pigs that also free range during the day, but could only find two. I am a little worried that our oldest girl Muffin might have died under our deck that we made out of sleepers. I can't get under there to have a look its too low down to the ground and if I get down on the ground I don't think I will be able to get back up again. Will get my daughter to check when she gets home from school, maybe when it starts to get dark, that is when they go back to their piggy bus for bed.
This really sucks.

Oh you poor thing. I've been struggling with sinus issues too. My headache was so bad last week I had convinced myself that I had a brain tumor. Haven't been to the doc, but I started taking " nurofen sinus " boy did they get the sinuses running. Can't go out in the wind though. Instant brain tumor pains.:hugs

Oh you poor thing. I've been struggling with sinus issues too. My headache was so bad last week I had convinced myself that I had a brain tumor. Haven't been to the doc, but I started taking " nurofen sinus " boy did they get the sinuses running. Can't go out in the wind though. Instant brain tumor pains.
hugs.gif
I am glad to here I am not the only one with stupid sinus problems. I was the same as you last week. I was sure my brain was going to explode. Its amazing how much ewww our noses can produce. Thank you for you kind word of encouragement. I will give nurofen sinus a try, I will give anything a try. I have been taking nurofen, antihistamine, nasal rinses and sprays, but non of it seems to help give me much relief though. During the night I sneezed over 50 times in a row and woke my husband who thought I wasn't able to breath enough in between "ahhhhhhchooows" because I went blue in the face. He is going to take me back to the GP tomorrow because he has seen how hard it is for me the breath.
When we are well, we just take breathing for granted.
Thank you so much for caring sweet heart.
love.gif

Last edited:
I am glad to here I am not the only one with stupid sinus problems. I was the same as you last week. I was sure my brain was going to explode. Its amazing how much ewww our noses can produce. Thank you for you kind word of encouragement. I will give nurofen sinus a try, I will give anything a try. I have been taking nurofen, antihistamine, nasal rinses and sprays, but non of it seems to help give me much relief though. During the night I sneezed over 50 times in a row and woke my husband who thought I wasn't able to breath enough in between "ahhhhhhchooows" because I went blue in the face. He is going to take me back to the GP tomorrow because he has seen how hard it is for me the breath.
When we are well, we just take breathing for granted.
Thank you so much for caring sweet heart. :love  

Oh sorry to hear you have all been sick. I think I permantly have sinus or hay fever I found my sizzle hen with a stash of eggs down the back before cheeky girl she looked just like a feather duster hiding beside one of the water tanks. Have left her there. Will have to wait and see if she hatches anything,

My 21 little Show Quality Araucanas hatched on 10/10. Starting to show a nice range of colours. This chook business is getting a little scary - I just did a quick census. I have - 33 Araucanas 21 Barred Rocks 11 Light Sussex 3 Speckled Sussex 9 Bantam White Leghorn 5 Hamburgs 5 Pekins 3 Isa Browns 2 Frizzles 1 White Leghorn X Ara 1 Indian Game X Ara 1 Isa X Ara. A total of 95, with 45 Barred Rcks and Silver Laced Wyandottes hatching today and tomorrow! A big clearing sale coming up soon I think! xxxx M
Impressive indeed Ash :) I prefer not to count mine then I am blissfully unaware lol. I don't have as many as you though so I still look tame in comparison.

I hate being sick and stuck in bed. Have all my animals outside missing me a lot. I went outside and got trampled by the chooks, as they were so excited to see me. Couldn't stay out long though. I also checked on the quail eggs that are due to hatch soon and mummy is still sitting tight on them. I went to check on my guinea pigs that also free range during the day, but could only find two. I am a little worried that our oldest girl Muffin might have died under our deck that we made out of sleepers. I can't get under there to have a look its too low down to the ground and if I get down on the ground I don't think I will be able to get back up again. Will get my daughter to check when she gets home from school, maybe when it starts to get dark, that is when they go back to their piggy bus for bed.
This really sucks.

I can't do the nasal flush thing. I agree feels like it make sit 10 times worse.

I can't do the nasal flush thing. I agree feels like it make sit 10 times worse.
Yes I couldn't do that again. It was horrible. Thank you for your kind thoughts satay. Satay I love those pics of your babies. They really cheered me up. It's nice to know you have Araucanas for future reference. Always wanted a blue egg layer, but could never find any in my area. If any of my girls go broodie on me in the future may I purchase a half dozen for one of my hens to raise? I never have gotten eggs through the mail. Is it hard to do? I would love to know, so I know who to ask when or if the time comes.
Those pics made me all clucky.

Back
Top Bottom