Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Aras can throw a lot of different feathering like the crest and muff etc then you get some clean faced. Aras need to at have all characteristics to be considered in a show but that would mean you would have to cull most the chicks just because they are not to standard & if you are in the Australian Araucana Club (I think that's the name of the one in referring to, applogies of it is not) but you are expected to cull these poor birds just for example because they hatched out with no crest and you are 'not allowed' to sell them as Araucana if you are in their club. They are a very hard breed to work with. That ashs birds are from show winning stock is enough for me to know that somewhere down the line a show quality chick popped out is a better start then from someone's back yard where they don't know where their birds even came from. My birds don't have much crest if any at all so putting a quality roo over them will help their feathering as they already have nice shape and egg colour. There seems to be a bit of contraversy about showing, in that we can attend these small shows and win because there is no competition but there are also the people who take showing seriously that will travel interstate to show their birds/ dogs/ horses etc. When I went to show my Kelpie (but was late and didn't make it in time,) I would have won my class because there were no other competitors but I know she is show quality and to standard. I personally don't like the idea of taking my birds to shows for the stress and disease side of things so no one will ever know if my birds are show quality/winning because they will never get the chance to compete. I am taking some eggs to show at the royal Melbourne poultry show this year if I can though just for the fact that I can find out what number my eggs really sit at.

Lol chook , I leave the showing to the ' showies ' . I breed my birds as close to SOP as I can but I don't show. Our German shepherds brother is the current Aus champion and the breeder , in Vic, hassles us to show her, but she's just happy being a very pretty farm dog.

We had a horse here that was HOTY back in his day. He died when he was 35 but he spent the last 10 years of his life here on the farm. He so enjoyed just being a horse. His name was ' Malachite Tza ' we called him ' posh josh ' . Sadly I have no pics here to show you , I miss old josh.

He's beautiful, my mum and sister were both attacked separately by shepards but I have always loved them. I considered one when I was getting Nya but mum said she would never come to visit me, lol. Yeah I'm more than happy for Nya to be a farm dog. She just needs to be smart but she has the good looks as well :) I am letting her have pups though and all the stud dogs through dogs vic seem to like your girl to have titles/proof that they are good to breed with. I will definitely have to travel interstate for her'date' if I choose to do it that way with a prefix etc. There is not much choice for suitors down here through that avenue.

Quote: Yeah I got my answer the first time, don't remember asking again, or even recently.
Thanks for all the clarification though.
hhaha, Satay that's what my father wanted to do as we saw no Marans, or even Aras at some of our local chicken shows. I could have won by just showing up.
I think you should be able to say your chicken are from show parents and it's up to the people buying whether they think your stock is what they want.

Lol chook , I leave the showing to the ' showies ' . I breed my birds as close to SOP as I can but I don't show. Our German shepherds brother is the current Aus champion and the breeder , in Vic, hassles us to show her, but she's just happy being a very pretty farm dog.

We had a horse here that was HOTY back in his day. He died when he was 35 but he spent the last 10 years of his life here on the farm. He so enjoyed just being a horse. His name was ' Malachite Tza ' we called him ' posh josh ' . Sadly I have no pics here to show you , I miss old josh.
He is awesome!

Hi, I'm going to put a question out to my fellow Aussies.

I have a broody hen and I want to get some fertile eggs for her as well as getting some new breeds into my flock.

I live in the northern suburbs of melbourne vic, but cant seem to find any local breeders/hatcheries.

I am after Gold Laced Wyandottes, Black Copper Marans or Wellsummers.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers Z

I've got two little silkie bantam eggs hatching 2 days early. There are just a dozen in of a few different breeds but I'm really excited about Daisy and Chain's babies because I haven't hatched many bantams. I'm going to give them names like moonbeam ha ha! Other ideas for flower power names welcomed!
And sorry fancy I meant she's beautiful, the dastardly auto correct :)

Hi, I'm going to put a question out to my fellow Aussies.

I have a broody hen and I want to get some fertile eggs for her as well as getting some new breeds into my flock.

I live in the northern suburbs of melbourne vic, but cant seem to find any local breeders/hatcheries.

I am after Gold Laced Wyandottes, Black Copper Marans or Wellsummers.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers Z

Welcome Z.
Pinky used to come on BYC quite frequently but I think she has deleted her account so do you have FB? I can put you onto her, she has BCM's and lives in VIC.
I am assuming you want to pick up only? If not there are many people on here that have those breeds and may be able to help but you will have to post.

Back
Top Bottom