Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I wouldn't bother with the antibiotics unless you see symptoms. Doxycycline ,erythromycin , gentamicin , cephalexin . Sometimes they will get a hard disc of solid puss cover the eye like a shield . You have to pinch it out , like you would a contact lense. Unfortunately once the eye gets infected and balloons out cutting across the eyelid and scraping the cheese out is the only option.
This might just have been triggered by a foreign body in the eye or a peck. Even sinusitis has similar symptoms .So hopefully it was exclusive to her and your other birds won't be in any danger.
Be sure to disinfect her quarantine area.

Thanks. She had no puss in the eye at all. It was just shut. so perhaps you are right that she had either sinus or a scratch.

So sorry about your little Pekin Satay
sad.png
hugs.gif

So I have the babies running with the big girls during the day now. Their Welsummer mothers really don't have anything to do with them anymore.

I've noticed that my older LS girl has taken it upon herself to mother my PR bantam. She chirps and clucks at her when she finds some goodies and they both sleep together, with the bantam under the LS's wing. It's the cutest thing to see; she's almost like the big jolly grandma to her who bakes sweet treats and lets you have whatever you want.

So I have the babies running with the big girls during the day now.  Their Welsummer mothers really don't have anything to do with them anymore.

I've noticed that my older LS girl has taken it upon herself to mother my PR bantam.  She chirps and clucks at her when she finds some goodies and they both sleep together, with the bantam under the LS's wing.  It's the cutest thing to see; she's almost like the big jolly grandma to her who bakes sweet treats and lets you have whatever you want. 

Sounds adorable :)

So far no other pekins looking unwell and I sure hope it stays that way. Omg I have forgotten about what the wait is like to do your first candle in the bator. I have my Belgium eggs in there and its driving me mad waiting to see if any are fertile... Have a few marans in as well but they are just about off the lay now. Hubby asked me if the Belgium's are fertile and hatch am I going to sell them? I said prob not they are collectables..... :D Well they are too me anyways :lau They really are like no other chickens I have had ,,, For such little ladies they are huge in personality :)

Hi All,

So I haven't said anything on here for a long while.

I am going to start building a Hen house for the family chickens that consists of 3 Isa Browns and more recently a black hen that was free to a good home because she was getting pecked by her old room mates. I will find some pictures and put them up soon.

The ideas for the Hen house and Run have come from BYC there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

Back
Top Bottom