Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

fl.gif
for those little fluffy butts to emerge Satay.

Ash, I'd love to see the Phantom of the Opera
love.gif

A few random photos of our growing obsession with our chickens :)

This is Little. She has big attitude, which of course makes her my favorite :)

Little and Mildred when we first brought them home. Again, Little is the one wanting to know whats going on!

The new additions, Mikah and Tink

The girls exploring the new coop...they like it

A little bit of chicken love...

I love how different their personalities are already. I never realized chickens would be so different from each other (silly, I know).
Little is inquisitive, always wants to know whats going on. She is the first to try any new thing, and is ALWAYS the first to the fresh scraps.
Mildred is a sweetie. She likes to come up and hang around my legs, or jump onto my lap for a pat. She is shy around everyone else though.
Tink is a bit of a nutter. She tries to fly too far or too high, and has not mastered the art of landing yet! Very funny to watch. Still skittish around us, but gets braver when it's just Jared and I hanging out quietly with them.
Mikah is a wimp. I'm sorry, but she just is! Super skittish, she runs and hides under the coop if anyone is around. She settles down ok once being cuddled though. She doesn't like being away from the others, and freaks out making A LOT of noise if she is not with them all the time!!
All in all, I think it's safe to say that Jared and I are totally in love with the girls, and are slowly working on the rest of the family. I find it hilarious to hear my boy come out with lines like "I'm angry..I'm going to go cuddle a chicken", or "I was sad Mum, but Tink gave me love and now I feel better" Yep, the chooks are here to stay
hugs.gif

Last edited:
A few random photos of our growing obsession with our chickens :) This is Little. She has big attitude, which of course makes her my favorite :) Little and Mildred when we first brought them home. Again, Little is the one wanting to know whats going on! The new additions, Mikah and Tink The girls exploring the new coop...they like it A little bit of chicken love... I love how different their personalities are already. I never realized chickens would be so different from each other (silly, I know). Little is inquisitive, always wants to know whats going on. She is the first to try any new thing, and is ALWAYS the first to the fresh scraps. Mildred is a sweetie. She likes to come up and hang around my legs, or jump onto my lap for a pat. She is shy around everyone else though. Tink is a bit of a nutter. She tries to fly too far or too high, and has not mastered the art of landing yet! Very funny to watch. Still skittish around us, but gets braver when it's just Jared and I hanging out quietly with them. Mikah is a wimp. I'm sorry, but she just is! Super skittish, she runs and hides under the coop if anyone is around. She settles down ok once being cuddled though. She doesn't like being away from the others, and freaks out making A LOT of noise if she is not with them all the time!! All in all, I think it's safe to say that Jared and I are totally in love with the girls, and are slowly working on the rest of the family. I find it hilarious to hear my boy come out with lines like "I'm angry..I'm going to go cuddle a chicken", or "I was sad Mum, but Tink gave me love and now I feel better" Yep, the chooks are here to stay :hugs
Sweet chickens :) Chickens are great for children they learn so much from them.

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if you could help me with a couple of things.

What could be the most common thing to cause one of my RIR to have soft shell eggs? They have shell grit and layer pellets.

Also what temperature outside does it need to be to have a heat lamp in the coop turned on? it has been getting to about 7 degrees overnight and I was just wondering

Cheers

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if you could help me with a couple of things.

What could be the most common thing to cause one of my RIR to have soft shell eggs? They have shell grit and layer pellets.

Also what temperature outside does it need to be to have a heat lamp in the coop turned on? it has been getting to about 7 degrees overnight and I was just wondering

Cheers

Hi and :welcome, shell grit doesn't provide any extra calcium, it is to help with digestion as they have no teeth. Crushed oyster shell or calcium carbonate will be available at your local pet shop. Just put it in a bowl , under cover and they will take some when they need it. What age are your chicks to require heat? What level of protein is in the pellets you are feeding? Grown chickens dont need a heat lamp.
This link explains the importance of calcium and phosphorous .

http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/calcium-the-key-to-beautiful-eggs-and-healthy-hens/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom