Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi and :welcome, shell grit doesn't provide any extra calcium, it is to help with digestion as they have no teeth. Crushed oyster shell or calcium carbonate will be available at your local pet shop. Just put it in a bowl , under cover and they will take some when they need it. What age are your chicks to require heat? What level of protein is in the pellets you are feeding? Grown chickens dont need a heat lamp.
This link explains the importance of calcium and phosphorous .

http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/calcium-the-key-to-beautiful-eggs-and-healthy-hens/

Thanks for the link. I am really not sure about the age as they are my mums ladies. She was told by someone about the lamp but I didn't think it would be cold enough in sydney to warrant having one. I will check about ages and get back to you

@satay Thanks for the reply
1f604.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I am really not sure about the age as they are my mums ladies. She was told by someone about the lamp but I didn't think it would be cold enough in sydney to warrant having one. I will check about ages and get back to you

No worries. Once they reach 6 weeks, so long as they are feathered in they even survive cold tassie. ;) . Heat lamps out in the coop are extremely dangerous so I wouldn't go there if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom