Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Congrats on your awards Chook!!
woot.gif

My 3 pullets had their second vaccination yesterday - all took it like champs. The Orps are getting amazing rounded shapes, like big jolly grandmas.

When was the last time you wormed her? If she is laying then she won't be egg bound , but I would slow down on the sunflower seeds as too much can lead to crop impaction. Now that you have her quarantined have a good look at her poop and feel her crop in the morning , to check that it is emptying. Examine her vent area and give her the once over for lice/ mites.

FIRSTLY:

Thankyou so much for your reply I appreciate someone taking the time to a newie and actually helping me :)
I checked her over and checked her poop and all was ok. This morning I put her back with the flock and she was herself again?? I'm really not sure what the story was?? I also got an egg a few hours after and It was a great shape and size (not sure who it was from though as I have three???
I have removed the lime and just used the sand!! I'm actually thinking she didn't want to lay in the best boxes as the produce lady told me to put some in there as well!! When I originally opened up the pen she ran out and hit in the dog kennel and layed her egg!! Then when I found the egg this morning it was in the nest box :) :) so maybe she didn't like the lime???!?
I will worm them just incase as I'm not sure if the farmer wormed them before sale?
Thanks again

Last edited:
FIRSTLY:

Thankyou so much for your reply I appreciate someone taking the time to a newie and actually helping me :)
I checked her over and checked her poop and all was ok. This morning I put her back with the flock and she was herself again?? I'm really not sure what the story was?? I also got an egg a few hours after and It was a great shape and size (not sure who it was from though as I have three???
I have removed the lime and just used the sand!! I'm actually thinking she didn't want to lay in the best boxes as the produce lady told me to put some in there as well!! When I originally opened up the pen she ran out and hit in the dog kennel and layed her egg!! Then when I found the egg this morning it was in the nest box :) :) so maybe she didn't like the lime???!?
I will worm them just incase as I'm not sure if the farmer wormed them before sale?
Thanks again

Oh that's good to hear. It can take them a little while to settle in to the ' whole egg laying thing '.
Btw, my pleasure . :)

Oh that's good to hear. It can take them a little while to settle in to the ' whole egg laying thing '.
Btw, my pleasure . :)

Thanks yeah I'm new to this, never thought I'd be enjoying it as much as I am. Do you wash your eggs? I've read conflicting views? I know about the film over the egg so I've just put them in a carton unwashed and will wash them as I use?? And kept them at room temp?? Hopefully that's a good way to do it ?

Thanks yeah I'm new to this, never thought I'd be enjoying it as much as I am. Do you wash your eggs? I've read conflicting views? I know about the film over the egg so I've just put them in a carton unwashed and will wash them as I use?? And kept them at room temp?? Hopefully that's a good way to do it ?

Yes the ' bloom ' protects the porous shell from the outside elements. I keep hay in my nest boxes and apart from the occasional poop accident , they are fairly clean. I usually dab a bit of paper towel in water to ' spot ' clean if necessary . I keep my eggs in the laundry , away from the warmer parts of the house and wash them before use

This article might interest you.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx#axzz34E41prYA

Last edited:

I wash all my eggs except ones I am going to incubate. I keep them in the fridge too but I have a lot of eggs. If you only had a few it would be fine to wash them as you use them.

I wash all my eggs except ones I am going to incubate. I keep them in the fridge too but I have a lot of eggs. If you only had a few it would be fine to wash them as you use them.
Thanks, as we only have three chooks ATM we are not getting a heap of eggs. I think in summer I will be storing them in the fridge though :)

Back
Top Bottom