Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good morning all.

Just thought I'd share. My dad passed away 8/7 and so I have been too sad and way way busy to be on.

This is dad and Valley.

I am glad he is no longer in pain and in a better place.
So sorry to hear Sam. I know what you mean
I lost my sister recently, she left behind three small children. I'm glad she is no longer in pain also. Thanks for sharing Such a lovely pic.

Last edited:
As soon as I discovered the mites (almost midnight lastnight) I used a cotton bud with vasoline and rubbed aroun the eye- manage to get some mites off.

I then smothered her in dust. This morning it did seem so red around her eye - but still red. I washed her eye again to open it this morning and seemed to wipe off dead mites??? does the dust make them die??

Whilst she is still in bad condition and still stumbling around she seemed to have some sort of relief about her.

I wasn't able to rub the powder in to my Moody Broody as she is a little psycho but I seen she has them around her eyes aswell. Poor baby. So i just poured it on top and around her and I hope today she will manage to rub it in herself.

Also, I need to syringe water into them. How much should I aim for each mornining and night until they start to do it by themself again??It has become clear they are not drinking.

Will the powder be enough or should I see the vet for some Ivermectin??

I am so glad I have discovered this. It was the last thing I thought off and just can't believe it has happened. Thankfully it will be all dealt with before the chicks hatch.

- My Belgium I do not belive has mites but her sinus are still swallon. :( I dusted her anyway.

Thankyou!!

As soon as I discovered the mites (almost midnight lastnight) I used a cotton bud with vasoline and rubbed aroun the eye- manage to get some mites off.

I then smothered her in dust. This morning it did seem so red around her eye - but still red. I washed her eye again to open it this morning and seemed to wipe off dead mites??? does the dust make them die??

Whilst she is still in bad condition and still stumbling around she seemed to have some sort of relief about her.

I wasn't able to rub the powder in to my Moody Broody as she is a little psycho but I seen she has them around her eyes aswell. Poor baby. So i just poured it on top and around her and I hope today she will manage to rub it in herself.

Also, I need to syringe water into them. How much should I aim for each mornining and night until they start to do it by themself again??It has become clear they are not drinking.

Will the powder be enough or should I see the vet for some Ivermectin??

I am so glad I have discovered this. It was the last thing I thought off and just can't believe it has happened. Thankfully it will be all dealt with before the chicks hatch.

- My Belgium I do not belive has mites but her sinus are still swallon. :( I dusted her anyway.

Thankyou!!

The powder needs to be reapplied in 10 days to catch anything hatching. If you are able to I would give them a couple of ml every few hours. If they are eating you could add water to the feed .
Even a little syringe full of meds added to scrambled eggs might get some more into them.
If they aren't eating well I use poly-aid plus baby bird formula, you can get it at most pet shops.
It meets all their nutritional requirements and tends to give them their appetite back.
Be very careful when giving them feed or water, just a drop at a time and give them time to swallow.
It's very easy to aspirate a chicken.

well bit of a sad story really,
we had a flock of 5 beautiful ducks, 2 pekin and 3 silver appleyards, until last Friday night we had a fox attack.
Now we just have one male appleyard, he isn't doing too well at the moment.
We also had 20 fertile eggs left though, so we bought an incubator and are trying to hatch them!

Back
Top Bottom