Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Here's a little light reading for those of you that have ever experienced red fowl mite. I was researching this for a fellow BYC er and thought I would share it with my Aussie mates. I was suprised to learn that these little critters do more than bite. Apart from aneamia they cause egg drop Roos will lose weight and experience a drop in fertility . They can also transmit salmonella , encephalitis and fowl pox. Whilst they are host specific they will still bite humans and can bring on upper respiratory problems in the birds and asthma in humans. Wow , little buggers!

http://www.heartspm.com/mite-bite-transmission.php

Last edited:
I was a bit squeamish about how it will feel to take the life of an animal you've raised from a chick, but it wasn't that bad. Knowing that the rooster had lived a good life, and that I was going to treat the meat with respect helped a lot. Once the chicken is dead, the processing isn't all that bad, but I know many people struggle with the first step of the process. Still, comparing homegrown roosters to supermarket chickens, I think the homegrown chicken pulls the long straw.

I think that if you're going to raise chickens, you need to be prepared to have to take it's life at some point. The chicken could get injured, and prolonging it's death for personal reasons is something that I feel is wrong to do. And if you hatch your own eggs, you're going to end up with 50% roosters. There is no magical place where all the roosters of the world live happily together enjoying a same sex polyamorous life. Someone who just rehomes all the roosters is in denial if they think that. Most of the roo's end up as someone's dinner. Might as well be yours. I know this sounds a bit harsh, but it's reality.
That does make sense, even though I wouldn't be eating it anyway as I cant eat meat due to my stomach not being able to handle it, but it would save money on meat. Although not so sure how good a Silkie rooster would be to eat and they are oh so cute I would feel bad
idunno.gif

Here's a little light reading for those of you that have ever experienced red fowl mite. I was researching this for a fellow BYC er and thought I would share it with my Aussie mates. I was suprised to learn that these little critters do more than bite. Apart from aneamia they cause egg drop Roos will lose weight and experience a drop in fertility . They can also transmit salmonella , encephalitis and fowl pox. Whilst they are host specific they will still bite humans and can bring on upper respiratory problems in the birds and asthma in humans. Wow , little buggers!

http://www.heartspm.com/mite-bite-transmission.php

Wow that is interesting and I'm not sharing with hubby !

And I'm finished work ! yay. And sitting in warm sun out of the frozen wind !

Do you reckon people would buy the 'frizzled' birds I have, either as hatching eggs or live birds?
They are not 'real' Frizzles (SOP frizzles). They are cross birds that are frizzled. At the moment I only have whites.

Hey there Luke
frow.gif

I would definitely buy hatching eggs. The next broody I get, I am seriously thinking about trying to get some Frizzle eggs but they would need to be bantams (silly question but Frizzles do come in LF also? .. I have no idea, my only Frizzle experience is the one bantam I have).

Quote: Cool, thanks!
But as I said before these are not proper Frizzles. Just frizzled birds.
The frizzled birds I have come in all shapes and sizes. The father is an LF and the mother is a bantam. I have one white frizzle that is defiantly an LF and then another that I would consider bantam.

Quote: Thanks.
I am putting another batch in (Frizzles birds and WLH's) this week as well.

Back
Top Bottom