Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Once again, thanks you folks for your on line support and advice last night
clap.gif

... just a quick update as, as per usual, I should be working
caf.gif

Tina seems to be OK this morning, unfortunately with work, I do not get to spend too much time with them in the morning. Her bottom is a little poopy and I wonder if there could have been a back-up but also, being a Silkie, pretty much anything seems to stick to their feathers and form a clump. I will keep an eye on her and if need be, bath time on the weekend!

I will be able to watch her a bit longer this afternoon during free range and I will definitely be ducking out during the day to make sure she is OK.

Thanks again .. so very much appreciated.

BYC Rocks!
thumbsup.gif

Hi all I just found one if my three chickens dead!
Nothing can get to them they are well looked after and closed in at night. She was the leader of the pack and was perfectly healthy yesterday! I gave them a small treat of watermelon. And cantelope?? I've never given them this before? I have no idea what happened it was fairly cold last night??? I'm pretty upset, as I'm so careful with them and really enjoy looking after them!!!! They were wormed about a fortnight ago and have been thriving (so I thought) ... I'm really concerned about the other two now!

Nothing can get to them they are well looked after and closed in at night. She was the leader of the pack and was perfectly healthy yesterday! I gave them a small treat of watermelon. And cantelope?? I've never given them this before? I have no idea what happened it was fairly cold last night??? I'm pretty upset, as I'm so careful with them and really enjoy looking after them!!!! They were wormed about a fortnight ago and have been thriving (so I thought) ... I'm really concerned about the other two now!

I'm sorry for your loss :hit How old was your girl you lost? The treats you gave them are fine so I would not think that would be the cause. Was the poop ok? I lost two young marans recently no idea why and the rest are all fine.

Last edited:

Oh sorry. I don't think it would be the fruit unless there was a ' choke ' danger. It's always best to leave the fruit whole or halved so they can only bite off of as much as they can chew. My daughter unwittingly choked my prize LS roo with chunks of Apple. :(
When they are wormed if they had a heavy load of round worm in their system they are at risk of the abundance of worms being shed forming a blockage in their intestines. I doubt this is what has happened in your case as she would have been unwell before she died.

Last edited:
Thank you :(
She was about 8 months old? Been laying fine yesterday she flew across the yard to catch up to the girls while we were getting them in for the night. I'm wondering if the seeds of the fruit caused her to have an impacted croup. I'm not sure if this can cause instant death?? .. This is just so awful, especially when I'm doing everything I can to take care of them! I figure healthy chooks healthy eggs?? A friend of mine is somewhat of an expert and said he has had chickens for many many years and sometimes it's a mystery. Not sure if I'm happy with that answer as things don't just die for no reason!! Who knows she could of eaten a red back spider for all I know.

"The only sad thing about having no obvious reason for her death is there’s nothing I can really change or fix to prevent and protect the rest of my flock... And that is highly upsetting!

There was a bit of dark brown watery poo??

Last edited:
was it possible that they got hold of poison from somewhere? I found a hole in my boundary fence yesterday and on my neighbour's side there was a container of little purple pellets that I'm thinking could be rat poison. Luckily my chooks hadn't been into that corner and I fixed the hole immediately. It looked like something that chooks would love to nibble on, so I was quite upset that it had been put there. Also I have a lot of kookaburras and owls that I wouldn't like to see poisoned either.

Thank you :(
She was about 8 months old? Been laying fine yesterday she flew across the yard to catch up to the girls while we were getting them in for the night. I'm wondering if the seeds of the fruit caused her to have an impacted croup. I'm not sure if this can cause instant death?? .. This is just so awful, especially when I'm doing everything I can to take care of them! I figure healthy chooks healthy eggs?? A friend of mine is somewhat of an expert and said he has had chickens for many many years and sometimes it's a mystery. Not sure if I'm happy with that answer as things don't just die for no reason!! Who knows she could of eaten a red back spider for all I know.

"The only sad thing about having no obvious reason for her death is there’s nothing I can really change or fix to prevent and protect the rest of my flock... And that is highly upsetting!

There was a bit of dark brown watery poo??

Not really a mystery more circumstances out of your control. Remember that chickens are very stoic and try very hard not to show weakness or illness to their flock mates. If she was the alpha hen then this would have almost certainly been the case.

Back
Top Bottom