Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Not really a mystery more circumstances out of your control. Remember that chickens are very stoic and try very hard not to show weakness or illness to their flock mates. If she was the alpha hen then this would have almost certainly been the case.[/quote]

I understand that. Just wish I knew what the circumstances were.

Thank you
sad.png

She was about 8 months old? Been laying fine yesterday she flew across the yard to catch up to the girls while we were getting them in for the night. I'm wondering if the seeds of the fruit caused her to have an impacted croup. I'm not sure if this can cause instant death?? .. This is just so awful, especially when I'm doing everything I can to take care of them! I figure healthy chooks healthy eggs?? A friend of mine is somewhat of an expert and said he has had chickens for many many years and sometimes it's a mystery. Not sure if I'm happy with that answer as things don't just die for no reason!! Who knows she could of eaten a red back spider for all I know.

"The only sad thing about having no obvious reason for her death is there’s nothing I can really change or fix to prevent and protect the rest of my flock... And that is highly upsetting!

There was a bit of dark brown watery poo??

Aaaw chic05, I am so sorry to read about your loss
sad.png

I understand what you are going through as I had a similar situation with a 5 month old Silkie. She was fine on the afternoon supervised free range and at bed time. When I woke up the next morning she was laying in the nest box, could not lift her head and passed away within a couple of hours. Nothing untoward and no symptoms of any sort leading up to it. No wounds that I could see. Everyone else was and have been fine since (that was 5 months ago). I can only assume she ate something she shouldn't have, got bitten by some tiny nasty etc.

I know it can be devastating and how upset you are but please do not beat yourself up about it .. as others have said, sadly it does happen.

Keep an eye on the rest of your flock and happy chickens! :)

Tha
Aaaw chic05, I am so sorry to read about your loss :(

I understand what you are going through as I had a similar situation with a 5 month old Silkie.  She was fine on the afternoon supervised free range and at bed time.  When I woke up the next morning she was laying in the nest box, could not lift her head and passed away within a couple of hours.  Nothing untoward and no symptoms of any sort leading up to it.  No wounds that I could see.  Everyone else was and have been fine since (that was 5 months ago).  I can only assume she ate something she shouldn't have, got bitten by some tiny nasty etc.

I know it can be devastating and how upset you are but please do not beat yourself up about it .. as others have said, sadly it does happen.

Keep an eye on the rest of your flock and happy chickens! :)

Thankyou kindly for those lovely words.

Dare I say it, originally, I went into this thinking it was all about getting fresh eggs! And just keeping them healthy but they really have became family pets equal to our dogs and rabbits :) I'm really hoping that the other two are ok. Time will tell.

Tha
Thankyou kindly for those lovely words.

Dare I say it, originally, I went into this thinking it was all about getting fresh eggs! And just keeping them healthy but they really have became family pets equal to our dogs and rabbits :) I'm really hoping that the other two are ok. Time will tell.

We all go into it thinking of those lovely ' farm fresh eggs' but alas the quirky little buggers have personality, who'd have thought it ? Fingers crossed it was just an isolated incident.
As Teila said don't beat yourself up over something that was probably out of your control. :hugs

We all go into it thinking of those lovely ' farm fresh eggs' but alas the quirky little buggers have personality, who'd have thought it ? Fingers crossed it was just an isolated incident.
As Teila said don't beat yourself up over something that was probably out of your control. :hugs

Thank you :) it's always nice to vent on here I don't think most people really get it.. After all it's just a chicken right?? Well Not to me and my kids they are pretty upset..

Once a few weeks pass and all is ok I will add three more (after quarantine ) as originally planned before this happened.

Last edited:
My 10 brown leghorn bantam hens (9 months old) and rooster (he said it was 'old' :rolleyes: ) I have 5 names so far: Henny, Penny, Bertie, Gertie (hens) and George (rooster) any other names would be helpful (need 6 more LOL)
My 10 brown leghorn bantam hens (9 months old) and rooster (he said it was 'old' :rolleyes: ) I have 5 names so far: Henny, Penny, Bertie, Gertie (hens) and George (rooster) any other names would be helpful (need 6 more LOL)
Looking stunning :love ... Not be racist all all but I went by the brown colour and came up with Whitney, beyonce, Aretha, :idunno

Back
Top Bottom