Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Talking about names for chickens,;)I had a call from an old BYC buddy today and she was telling me that her roo prefers the young hens, lol I said you should call him Geoffrey as in Eddleston. He only likes the young ones.
wink.png

What about Rolf.
To early??

G'day to all and sundry, I've seen this thread many a time but have been overwhelmed by its immensity. I thought to myself, "Bugger it, I should at least say hi to all the other Aussies on here." So, without any further ado, I offer my warmest greetings and salutations to all upon this forum, especially the many Australians out there hoarding chickens within the confines of their piece of the great Australian dream. We're from Melbournes Western suburbs and have been keeping chooks since April-ish(?). Our motley brood consists of an RIR (Bruce), a buff RIR (B*tch Hen), Bluey, a recently added Buff Orpington, their lovingly gentle underachieving matriarch, Tanikwa (Black Silkie) and our proud young fella, Schnitzel, a Light Sussex. In the next week or two we'll be taking on a pair of Australorps to boot. I'm always amazed by the field of members upon this site and the collective depth of their knowledge and experience. We all do it a different way, but at the end of the day our common interest is for these magical birds. Have a great evening, Australia, good luck as we approach the Southern Spring!

What about Rolf.
To early??

I was going to suggest Rolf but with a 'politically incorrect' warning
wink.png

G'day to all and sundry, I've seen this thread many a time but have been overwhelmed by its immensity. I thought to myself, "Bugger it, I should at least say hi to all the other Aussies on here." So, without any further ado, I offer my warmest greetings and salutations to all upon this forum, especially the many Australians out there hoarding chickens within the confines of their piece of the great Australian dream. We're from Melbournes Western suburbs and have been keeping chooks since April-ish(?). Our motley brood consists of an RIR (Bruce), a buff RIR (B*tch Hen), Bluey, a recently added Buff Orpington, their lovingly gentle underachieving matriarch, Tanikwa (Black Silkie) and our proud young fella, Schnitzel, a Light Sussex. In the next week or two we'll be taking on a pair of Australorps to boot. I'm always amazed by the field of members upon this site and the collective depth of their knowledge and experience. We all do it a different way, but at the end of the day our common interest is for these magical birds. Have a great evening, Australia, good luck as we approach the Southern Spring!

G'Day
frow.gif

G'day to all and sundry, I've seen this thread many a time but have been overwhelmed by its immensity. I thought to myself, "Bugger it, I should at least say hi to all the other Aussies on here." So, without any further ado, I offer my warmest greetings and salutations to all upon this forum, especially the many Australians out there hoarding chickens within the confines of their piece of the great Australian dream. We're from Melbournes Western suburbs and have been keeping chooks since April-ish(?). Our motley brood consists of an RIR (Bruce), a buff RIR (B*tch Hen), Bluey, a recently added Buff Orpington, their lovingly gentle underachieving matriarch, Tanikwa (Black Silkie) and our proud young fella, Schnitzel, a Light Sussex. In the next week or two we'll be taking on a pair of Australorps to boot. I'm always amazed by the field of members upon this site and the collective depth of their knowledge and experience. We all do it a different way, but at the end of the day our common interest is for these magical birds. Have a great evening, Australia, good luck as we approach the Southern Spring!
:old says :welcome

I know lots of people have asked this question, but I am asking it with a twist. I used the damp handtowel method.

For those unaware of this method, you dampen a handtowel and wrap the hygrometer for 8 hours. If it is correct the humidity will be 99-100%

Well I am only about 2 hours in and already reached 99% humidity. Does that mean it is correct or way off? Am I safer to use the salt method and if so I need more reliable instructions

Now I'm doing the salt test again and after only about an hour it is at 75% what am I doing wrong?

I know lots of people have asked this question, but I am asking it with a twist. I used the damp handtowel method.

For those unaware of this method, you dampen a handtowel and wrap the hygrometer for 8 hours. If it is correct the humidity will be 99-100%

Well I am only about 2 hours in and already reached 99% humidity. Does that mean it is correct or way off? Am I safer to use the salt method and if so I need more reliable instructions

Now I'm doing the salt test again and after only about an hour it is at 75% what am I doing wrong?
I'm guessing your hygrometer is pretty accurate. The time frames are to let the isolated environment reach equilibrium. If the airspace is small enough, and the amount of damp salt large enough in relation to the airspace, it could probably reach equilibrium sooner. The 8 hours is more to be sure that it has done that, and I suggest waiting the recommended time to see what it shows at that point. But you might have scored a pretty decent hygrometer.

I'm guessing your hygrometer is pretty accurate. The time frames are to let the isolated environment reach equilibrium. If the airspace is small enough, and the amount of damp salt large enough in relation to the airspace, it could probably reach equilibrium sooner. The 8 hours is more to be sure that it has done that, and I suggest waiting the recommended time to see what it shows at that point. But you might have scored a pretty decent hygrometer.
Ok thanks, this is the size of the bag it is in

Back
Top Bottom