Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

The 1st chicken we had go broody was a black australorp. We were new to the process as well, didn't mark the eggs, didn't isolate her in adequate time, but she sat on those eggs (that a New Hampshire had sat on for 3 days or so then abandoned) so faithfully. One busted and contaminated the others around day 16. Taught me a lot of lessons! The last brooder we had is a barred rock (in my avatar). She hatched out 3 out of 6 in the brooder box we made for her.

Those of you that have broody hens, after winter (here), do the broody hens generally return to becoming broody, or do you have to encourage them?

Omg omg omg. A guy on gumtree selling fertile eggs for chickens that lay blue eggs and some silkies! Which is exactly what I want. Its meant to be right?

Just need a frizzle as well and I'll be very happy

She looks just like my broody satay! Whom I cant seem to break

Lol austrolorps are the most stubborn of broodies excluding Teila's and RooRoo ( my lorp) broke all of her first eggs ( Pinky's rocks) the next time she was broody she's at for 42 days first 21 I was trying everything to stop her and then friend gave me eggs so I gave her 4 that didn't fit the bator and 3 hatched.

She was using a milk create with a small timber board nailed to the front to stop eggs rolling out. And straw. i had to put food and water where she could reach as she would not get up

Last edited:
celebrate.gif
Today is supposed to be our hottest so far this week well into the 40's.. So glad people are getting rain. Doing the happy dance for all that are getting much needed rain and keeping my
fl.gif
for all that need it like me and haven't got any yet.
We didn't end up with much rain, but at least back tank is over flowing again. Our drinking tank is almost there :)
I start to panic when our drinking tank gets low as we can't drink our town water :(
Next time we get some rain clouds come in, I'll get out and do my naked rain dance :) Hopefully chase it your way :)

You can gladly have our rain. Yesterday I was mowing when the heavens opened up. I soldiered on but was wet through by the time it had passed. Looks like more of the same today, oh well at least I'm getting on top of my ironing. Great weather for cooking Xmas cakes, now that the fruit has been soaking in rum.
:D

We didn't end up with much rain, but at least back tank is over flowing again. Our drinking tank is almost there :)
I start to panic when our drinking tank gets low as we can't drink our town water :(
Next time we get some rain clouds come in, I'll get out and do my naked rain dance :) Hopefully chase it your way :)

So glad for our bore. I would hate to imagine the amount I would have spent having water delivered this year if it had not been for the bore. Was well worth the $10 000 investment when we first moved here.

Last edited:
You can gladly have our rain. Yesterday I was mowing when the heavens opened up. I soldiered on but was wet through by the time it had passed. Looks like more of the same today, oh well at least I'm getting on top of my ironing. Great weather for cooking Xmas cakes, now that the fruit has been soaking in rum.
:D

I too make christmas cakes but have not even thought about doing it yet as its too darn hot.. Mine are rumless though as i can't stand the smell of rum.

Back
Top Bottom