Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Nu2chooks15 still no eggs?
Okay, removed all the other notes so I didn't make my post too long.and the answer is (... drum roll please ...) no eggs, nothing, nada but on the positive side I now have 3 rather red faced, red combs red wobbly bits under the chin/beak with 3 dark pink heading towards red and combs etc starting to grow. Two making more chooken type sounds rather than the brrr brrr or however it goes to a now more braak braak sound from them both at various times. There seems to have been a bit of investigating the nesting boxes, so hopefully not long now.

Okay, removed all the other notes so I didn't make my post too long.and the answer is (... drum roll please ...) no eggs, nothing, nada but on the positive side I now have 3 rather red faced, red combs red wobbly bits under the chin/beak with 3 dark pink heading towards red and combs etc starting to grow. Two making more chooken type sounds rather than the brrr brrr or however it goes to a now more braak braak sound from them both at various times. There seems to have been a bit of investigating the nesting boxes, so hopefully not long now.
big_smile.png
Sounds like very soon for you! It's so hard waiting for the egg song!

Good to know, though the dusting was going to be a twice a year thing...it was a startling amount of mucous for a small bird. Like, it was a LOT - I'd have thought she'd be showing some other symptoms, but she was acting happy. I wouldn't even bother moving in her state, this was some exorcist level shenanigans.

I'm going to order antibiotics online, thanks for the link.

No worries. Does the liquid smell? The only time I've seen excessive fluid is in the final stages of life in a sour crop case.

Just keep an eye on her. One of the earliest signs of a slow or impacted crop is excessive thirst. They will try to wash the blockage away. The antibiotics might be a good thing at this time.
Well I just finished the lawns, I swear I can hear the grass growing round here. :rolleyes:

Well my partner fpund 1 cockroach in my sons room so we decided to do a big clean which ended in painting the whole room. (I rent and even after cleaning I would never get my bond back despite being a family friend). Oil enamel smells!

Rarely see the chickens cos its stinking hot. They are hiding in nice cool spots out of sight.

I could use some advice please,
I have 6 and 8 week old chicks in the brooder. Weather has changed here in Victoria, we are going to get some hot days. Would it be safe to put them out in their own A frame pen now, or wait longer?
In this bunch are 3 SilverLace pullets, they are smaller and not so confident, at what agecan I integrate them into my main flock of hens only?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Last edited:
I could use some advice please,
I have 6 and 8 week old chicks in the brooder. Weather has changed here in Victoria, we are going to get some hot days. Would it be safe to put them out in their own A frame pen now, or wait longer?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I had a single chick hatch under mum at the very start of spring when it was much colder. By 6-8 weeks even back then it had stopped getting under mum for warmth of a day. Many hens start to ignore chicks by that age.

So yeah, I wouldn't think twice about putting them out.

To integrate, maybe put your a frame inside your regular run so they can get used to each other. They say to wait till they are a similar size to put together without a barrier between them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom