Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good to know! Thanks guys, going to give it a go, no loss if it doesn't work so it will be a good practice run. I took them out as soon as the thought occurred to me and made sure they were point down (though picking which was the pointy end wasn't easy!) how long does everyone "preheat" their incubator before setting eggs? My only hatching experience is with broody hens (when I was a kid) so complete newbie.

Last edited:
Good to know! Thanks guys, going to give it a go, no loss if it doesn't work so it will be a good practice run. I took them out as soon as the thought occurred to me and made sure they were point down (though picking which was the pointy end wasn't easy!) how long does everyone "preheat" their incubator before setting eggs? My only hatching experience is with broody hens so complete newbie.

I keep mine in the main house during winter and believe me, it's colder in there than it is in the fridge. Leave them on the bench at room temp while you get the bator running. I run mine for 24-48 hours before I add eggs. In that time you will be able to get an indication as to whether or not everything is ok.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Manyana I am sorry to hear about your rooster
sad.png

Got my fingers crossed for ya Sam
fl.gif

Good luck with the fridge eggs ChristieB; It still amazes me the number of people who have successfully hatched supermarket eggs or eggs that have been in the fridge.

A little excitement is in the air at our house today .. Brent [Boomer] Harvey is playing his 400th game for North Melbourne at the Gabba tonight [Brisbane] and hubby and myself will be there to cheer him on. It is a pretty big milestone; having debuted for the team in 1996. While I commiserate with the Melbourne based fans who probably would have liked Boomer’s 400th to have been played in Melbourne, pretty darn excited that we get to be there! We will be totally outnumbered by Brisbane fans but it is still going to be a special night .. fingers crossed for a win for Boomer!

Haven't had a single egg since the goshawk attack, and our Aussie had been laying almost every day. How long does it take them to get over a scare do you think?

Haven't had a single egg since the goshawk attack, and our Aussie had been laying almost every day. How long does it take them to get over a scare do you think?

Hawk attacks here haven't stopped them laying, are you sure they're not in a molt ?
I just had a scare, hubby is out scallop diving and a scallop diver has just been taken by a great white of Maria island. He just rang to let me know he is ok , it was about 20 k from where they are. Phew, still poor bugger, no chance of me get taken by a shark. ;)
Not going anywhere near the water.

Back
Top Bottom