Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Okay guys, my trees are gone and the garden we had them in now looks HUGE! I'm going to plant a dwarf tree orchard there instead. Has anyone got recommendations for fruit or nuts that seem to escape the fruit fly? We are temperate/sydney type weather.

Hello friends
frow.gif

At the risk of sounding like a broken record .. work has once again caused me to play catch-up! 7 Pages / 70 Posts
caf.gif

Howdy Duckchelor93. Welcome to the thread; sorry, I am not able to assist with the duck question.

satay I am cringing reading about all those shopping centre visits; I would probably have been locked up for punching someone .. having to deal with so many people in so many shopping centres in one day would have caused me to break
rant.gif

Love the bubby pics; they are so so cute! I have the same little coop and run that I used for Blondie to brood in; for the price, it is a handy little thing and now sitting in the shed, in case of emergencies. It makes a good sick bay also.

K Spot Yep, the white one looks Frizzled to me also … woo hoo, the world needs more Frizzles!

Beautiful little bubs!

Hey Fancy I have been keeping an eye on your weather and had a chuckle yesterday when they were reporting snow at the beaches!!!

As always, absolutely beautiful pictures. Piglet in gum boots is adorable!

Howdy Pugg and welcome to the thread; nice to meet you and I love your avatar!

Sam lols at “ROFL I wanna see the chooks huddled around the fire place in their big red coop!” Congrats on the eggs. Finned bubbies are nearly as cute as fluffy ones
wink.png

cwrite
congrats on the 7 egg day!

Deej211 Congrats on your new arrivals and good luck with the hatch. Yep, if it was me I would be selling the Polish; she had her chance.

Your new girl is beautiful!

ChrisieB I believe there is nothing nicer than chickens pecking away on beautiful green grass; great pics!

Glad to hear you are getting some help around the place. Good luck with the hatch.

appps they are beautiful trees; sorry to read they have to go.

News from Bambrook Bantams:

No more pink urates since the one on the weekend.

I was working on site yesterday and when I got home hubby mentioned that KiKi had been making “gunna lay egg; gunna lay egg” noises but that she could just have been mimicking Cilla aka Nike .. Just Do It!! Someone had also been scratching around in the white nest box that the big girls do not use and is in a different part of the coop to their nest boxes. No baby eggs anywhere though. At this point I am thinking KiKi is probably going to beat her sister to the first egg.

Anyways, today I saw Crystal snuggled down in the white nest box and she looked serious … 30 minutes later, she was singing at the top of her voice which got the rest of the flock singing; it was like they were all celebrating with her … I am so super excited for my little girl who is 20 weeks and 3 days old
celebrate.gif

May I present Crystal’s first egg ………..

thank you Teila, i did, they sold all in one day! Congrats on the teeny 1st egg, waiting on my polish girls to start,anyone know how long from rooster jumping on them to lay? i thought a week or 2 but its been 2 weeks and nada! they do make lots of noise so i'm hoping really soon. :)

Hey all, This my new boy Fruit-loop!

He's originally from my high school, I couldn't resist getting him. He sit's up on a perch to great me and bobs his head when I play music. He's also an AMAZING rooster, he herds the girls into the coop at night, tells them where the food is and is a great protector. Love him.

The dog has killed again, my beloved Isa brown Sheena. He's going back to the pound. My heart is broken on so many levels
Sorry to hear mate
Hello friends :frow At the risk of sounding like a broken record .. work has once again caused me to play catch-up! 7 Pages / 70 Posts :caf Howdy Duckchelor93. Welcome to the thread; sorry, I am not able to assist with the duck question. satay I am cringing reading about all those shopping centre visits; I would probably have been locked up for punching someone .. having to deal with so many people in so many shopping centres in one day would have caused me to break :rant Love the bubby pics; they are so so cute! I have the same little coop and run that I used for Blondie to brood in; for the price, it is a handy little thing and now sitting in the shed, in case of emergencies. It makes a good sick bay also. K Spot Yep, the white one looks Frizzled to me also … woo hoo, the world needs more Frizzles! Beautiful little bubs! Hey Fancy I have been keeping an eye on your weather and had a chuckle yesterday when they were reporting snow at the beaches!!! As always, absolutely beautiful pictures. Piglet in gum boots is adorable! Howdy Pugg and welcome to the thread; nice to meet you and I love your avatar! Sam lols at “ROFL I wanna see the chooks huddled around the fire place in their big red coop! ” Congrats on the eggs. Finned bubbies are nearly as cute as fluffy ones ;) cwrite congrats on the 7 egg day! Deej211 Congrats on your new arrivals and good luck with the hatch. Yep, if it was me I would be selling the Polish; she had her chance. Your new girl is beautiful! ChrisieB I believe there is nothing nicer than chickens pecking away on beautiful green grass; great pics! Glad to hear you are getting some help around the place. Good luck with the hatch. appps they are beautiful trees; sorry to read they have to go. News from Bambrook Bantams: No more pink urates since the one on the weekend. I was working on site yesterday and when I got home hubby mentioned that KiKi had been making “gunna lay egg; gunna lay egg” noises but that she could just have been mimicking Cilla aka Nike .. Just Do It!! Someone had also been scratching around in the white nest box that the big girls do not use and is in a different part of the coop to their nest boxes. No baby eggs anywhere though. At this point I am thinking KiKi is probably going to beat her sister to the first egg. Anyways, today I saw Crystal snuggled down in the white nest box and she looked serious … 30 minutes later, she was singing at the top of her voice which got the rest of the flock singing; it was like they were all celebrating with her … I am so super excited for my little girl who is 20 weeks and 3 days old :celebrate May I present Crystal’s first egg ………..
Grats on the eggs

OMG in shock! I couldn't wait, so impatient, just did a quick candle on the eggs and 4/5 have veins and visible embryo!! The 5th is clear but I've left it for now, I can't believe it, in the fridge a week then left to sit another week and still managed to get some growth! Tried to get some photos without letting them get cold

The second one, im not sure if you can see it in the photo, actually has a hairline crack beside the x, I thought if any wouldn't go it would be that one.

Congrats on the egg Teila! My favourite pekin Ginny at 44 weeks of age laid her first egg other day and every day since, compared to Cho her eggs are larger and slightly pink tinted. Nothing like a late bloomer, the other 3 I'm waiting on are around 40 weeks
I didn't collect the eggs yesterday as usually my 3 year old reminds me so when I checked today I was greeted with a slightly full nest!

That's pretty cool Christie!

All this hatching is making me very impatient! I plan to hatch some more eggs from the lady I got peppers egg from last year in Perth. She is such a gorgeous girl and our little flock needs a couple new additions after loosing two this year :-(. Hopefully I will get my blue australorp I was trying for last year as well as a black this time. I think it was September I hatched last year which was perfect weather wise so not long to go!

OMG in shock! I couldn't wait, so impatient, just did a quick candle on the eggs and 4/5 have veins and visible embryo!! The 5th is clear but I've left it for now, I can't believe it, in the fridge a week then left to sit another week and still managed to get some growth! Tried to get some photos without letting them get cold

The second one, im not sure if you can see it in the photo, actually has a hairline crack beside the x, I thought if any wouldn't go it would be that one.

Congrats on the egg Teila! My favourite pekin Ginny at 44 weeks of age laid her first egg other day and every day since, compared to Cho her eggs are larger and slightly pink tinted. Nothing like a late bloomer, the other 3 I'm waiting on are around 40 weeks
I didn't collect the eggs yesterday as usually my 3 year old reminds me so when I checked today I was greeted with a slightly full nest!
Great candling pics and a nice haul of eggs too. My marans are still laying well thankfully as I have a dozen to send to Sydney next week ;) and in the main pen (we call it the retirement pen now as they are getting on in age) I got 3 yesterday. :celebrate My Belgians have laid 4 and nothing since so lucky I got a few of them to hatch and the pekins I have had nothing from them in agers. Might have to send them down to Teilas so her girls can give them the hurry up and remind them how to lay

Last edited:
Okay guys, my trees are gone and the garden we had them in now looks HUGE! I'm going to plant a dwarf tree orchard there instead. Has anyone got recommendations for fruit or nuts that seem to escape the fruit fly? We are temperate/sydney type weather.

In qld we have fruit fly everywhere so I am probably not much help. I use fruit fly traps that are safe for bees etc. I have over 50 fruit trees but none dwarf. My brother has a tiny back yard and they grow a fruit salad tree. It is only dwarf I think but it has 4 different fruits on the one tree. Pretty sure it's lemon, lime, orange and mandarin.

Last edited:
Hey all, This my new boy Fruit-loop! He's originally from my high school, I couldn't resist getting him. He sit's up on a perch to great me and bobs his head when I play music. He's also an AMAZING rooster, he herds the girls into the coop at night, tells them where the food is and is a great protector. Love him.
:love I have always been a sucker for roosters and you look like you have yourself a true gem there. :)

Back
Top Bottom