Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey devinandfeather that is a nice little brooder set up!

Aaaw Deej211 they are so tiny and cute!

Thank you all for your thoughts on plump chickens … for the first time in months LuLu was having a peck at the oyster shell before bed last night; might be a good sign.

I have to share a story about little, not quite 6 month old KiKi … she does not like to be disturbed when she is laying her egg.

She was hunkered down in the nest box yesterday when LuLu wandered up to see what she was doing; KiKi went ballistic .. open beak, high volume screeching.  LuLu just looked at her and wandered off.  Anyways, a while later, LuLu wanders past again and KiKi repeats the dummy spit … KiKi is not broody and if this is the way she carries on when she is laying, we may ALL need to move out if she does go broody! :oops:

Oh yeah, and she crows ... if she thinks she needs something and is not getting it, she turns on the crowing with full neck extension ... might just have to keep the evil black trespassers around to drown out the very noisy Silkie X Frizzle we have in residence ;)   Blame the Crows for that also :lau  

So funny. I have had a few that could only be described as pure evil when they go broody. One teenage son gets the job of removing those eggs :p

I've been lucky with cho. I wouldn't call her sweet by any means but she's not vicious to me, had a good go at the other chicks (the black one of course) when they got on her side of the pen yesterday, I've separated them better today lol

I've been lucky with cho. I wouldn't call her sweet by any means but she's not vicious to me, had a good go at the other chicks (the black one of course) when they got on her side of the pen yesterday, I've separated them better today lol
sparrow hasnt been vivious at all. But then shes numero uno so maybe she hasnt had to be. I havent a vicious hen among mine... (have i mentioned i just love araucanas) they are all very cruisy girls

@appps yea I used my own hygrometer and thermometers. The firsy batch of eggs had one hatch and die...turns out the temp was out by about 2.3 degrees!! I recalibrated and my 2nd hatch was beautiful!

@Teila

FOX. FOX. FOX. FOX.

Just letting you, and anyone else in the Boondall area know that foxes are active, even in built up areas.

They attacked my flock Monday night and killed Rosie, who had settled in and was gorgeous and my little defenceless Silkie (took her away) who belonged to my 4yr old.

My son cried for days when he lost his first chook Harriet to cancer? a few months ago. We are away and I haven't found the wisdom yet to know the best time to break this news.

The fox will be back no doubt. Friends in even more built up Northgate/Virginia have also lost chooks to foxes.

The council is responsible for controlling foxes so if anyone sees any or their signs please ring them on 3403 8888 so they prioritise taking action.

Hope your chickens stay safe.

@Teila

FOX. FOX. FOX. FOX.

Just letting you, and anyone else in the Boondall area know that foxes are active, even in built up areas.

They attacked my flock Monday night and killed Rosie, who had settled in and was gorgeous and my little defenceless Silkie (took her away) who belonged to my 4yr old.

My son cried for days when he lost his first chook Harriet to cancer? a few months ago. We are away and I haven't found the wisdom yet to know the best time to break this news.

The fox will be back no doubt. Friends in even more built up Northgate/Virginia have also lost chooks to foxes.

The council is responsible for controlling foxes so if anyone sees any or their signs please ring them on 3403 8888 so they prioritise taking action.

Hope your chickens stay safe.

MyHaven OMG! Really?

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of Rosie and your Silkie
sad.png

Granted I have only lived here for five years but I have never seen a fox … my coop and run is adequate to keep our fat neighbourhood dogs and cats but it is definitely not hungry fox proof!

Thank you for the heads up, I will be even more vigilant than usual … fingers crossed they do not feel brave enough to tackle Sandgate Road or, if they do, they prefer the taste of readily available Crows!

Very concerning :(

Back
Top Bottom